2012 Explorer Security System | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer Security System

GRegPA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer
Hello,
Today a glass company came and installed a new windshield. After they left I went to start the buggy and roll up the windows, everything was dead, I mean dead. Thinking maybe the dome light ran the battery down, I tried jumping the vehicle. Nothing, NADA, zip ... It was then that I noticed that even the little security module on the dash board wasn't blinking ... Is there a chance that when cutting the windshield out with this sawsall tool that he cut a wire under there? Or somehow else shut the system down ? The battery seems to have plenty of juice, but the vehicle has none ! No lights, no horn, no bells ... totally dead or locked out ...
What can I do now ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,
Today a glass company came and installed a new windshield. After they left I went to start the buggy and roll up the windows, everything was dead, I mean dead. Thinking maybe the dome light ran the battery down, I tried jumping the vehicle. Nothing, NADA, zip ... It was then that I noticed that even the little security module on the dash board wasn't blinking ... Is there a chance that when cutting the windshield out with this sawsall tool that he cut a wire under there? Or somehow else shut the system down ? The battery seems to have plenty of juice, but the vehicle has none ! No lights, no horn, no bells ... totally dead or locked out ...
What can I do now ?

First off, Welcome to the Forum.
Did they really remove the windshield with a sawsall?:eek: I just can not picture anybody actually doing that. I had the windshield on my 2011 replaced and they sure didn't use a sawsall. The first thing I would have done was call that glass company up and get them back over there and discuss who is going to pay to have my explorer back to it's normal operating state.
It might just be as simple as disconnecting the battery cable, waiting 10 minutes, then reconnecting it. They also might have done something to your explorer without realizing it. I am assuming that is how you came to the conclusion that it has something to do with it's security system?
Whatever route you take, Good Luck.

Sawsall

Yes, well it looked and acted like a sawsall, the only difference is that instead of a blade it had what looked like a spatula or pancake turner on it. It was actually rather interesting, they (he) sprayed a clear liquid, probably to loosen the glue, then he forced this spatula looking sawsall between the glass and body, turned it on and went around the windshield. All I really know is that it all seemed to work fine before he came and when he left it looked like rain so I got in to roll up the windows. Nothing, no dome lights, no key in ignition bell, nothing.
They are on their way back up to look at it, although I don't know if they're mechanics of any kind ... I guess we'll soon see.
Thanks for the response, I'll go try disconnecting the battery ...

Hello,
What can I do now ?
I'm guessing that the security module on the dash board was an after market install since the Explore doesn't have that feature.
I don't see any reason why replacing a windshield would affect anything else on the vehicle. The only electrically controlled feature on the windshield would be the rearview mirror.
It would help if you added the trim level (Base, XLT, etc) to your profile so it appears in the margin and we can see which one we are talking about.:thumbsup:

Peter

Well, I was just assuming thats what that little blinking "bump" molded into the dash was ... Anyway, Thank You everybody. I did disconnect both battery terminals for 15 minutes and that must've reset something. Because it's up and running again.
Thanks to all who responded!
Greg

Well, I was just assuming thats what that little blinking "bump" molded into the dash was ... Anyway, Thank You everybody. I did disconnect both battery terminals for 15 minutes and that must've reset something. Because it's up and running again.
Thanks to all who responded!
Greg
If you're talking about that "bump" in the center of the dash near the bottom of the windshield, that is a light sensor that turns the headlamps ON/OFF. There is no "blinking light" in it. The Explorer doesn't have a display that indicates that the security system is active. Glad to hear that your issue has been resolved Greg.:thumbsup:

Peter

Back