• Register Today It's free!

Limited security system

drumguru1

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I test drove an explorer this weekend and rolled down the window and locked the doors with the remote. I then opened the door and the alarm didn't go off. I took the key fob about 20 yards from the car so I wasn't standing too close to the car with the key fob. The alarm should go off in this case shouldn;t it? Or is there only an engine disabler and no actual security system? Someone please advise. Also, would the alarm go off in the event of a broken window?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol, if this helps. When I unlocked my XLT with 202A with the key on the door after sometime I got out of the car. The car started to beep. Then on the dash, it said. Start the car or the alarm will go off. Then the car began to beep and then beep faster. I started the car. It was sooo cool. I think you might have to wait some time because I locked the door to try it again. It didn't work.

I believe it takes 20 seconds to go to full arm.

Will the alarm go off if the window is broken in? On both my previous vehicle and my brothers 2 ford trucks it didn't go off when the window was broken in.

I believe Ford's system is just your typical system, won't allow car to start, alarm goes off if doors, hood or trunk is open. That's all, There is no proximity sensor and I don't believe there is an impact sensor for breaking a window open.

I believe Ford's system is just your typical system, won't allow car to start, alarm goes off if doors, hood or trunk is open. That's all, There is no proximity sensor and I don't believe there is an impact sensor for breaking a window open.
Can anyone confirm this? I thought the EX had a perimiter alarm and some kind of sensor inside the vehicle that detected unathorized entry. What criminal tries to open the door? It should come with window protection.

Can anyone confirm this? I thought the EX had a perimiter alarm and some kind of sensor inside the vehicle that detected unathorized entry. What criminal tries to open the door? It should come with window protection.

A perimeter sensor would be a motion sensor.. There is no motion sensor. I've walked around the vehicle with it armed and it has never alerted audibly to back away.. and I've reached in through the door with the window rolled down (obviously) and still nothing.

The only thing it possible could have is an impact sensor that would detect a blow to the vehicle (tap of the bumper, breaking of the window etc). This I'm not 100% positive of.. but I also refuse to bump into something or break my window to find out lol.

My F250 has the impact sensor (aftermarket alarm) and if I bang on the window with a fair amount of force, it chirps the alarm (stage 1), if I hit it with a lot of force, it sets off the alarm (stage 2).

A perimeter sensor would be a motion sensor.. There is no motion sensor. I've walked around the vehicle with it armed and it has never alerted audibly to back away.. and I've reached in through the door with the window rolled down (obviously) and still nothing.

The only thing it possible could have is an impact sensor that would detect a blow to the vehicle (tap of the bumper, breaking of the window etc). This I'm not 100% positive of.. but I also refuse to bump into something or break my window to find out lol.

My F250 has the impact sensor (aftermarket alarm) and if I bang on the window with a fair amount of force, it chirps the alarm (stage 1), if I hit it with a lot of force, it sets off the alarm (stage 2).
Under standard features under security it says perimiter alarm(ford.com). When you read that section in the manual it says that when people get close to the vehicle the alarm chirps. It comes standard on xlt and limited models acording to the website.

I remember seeing that also written never had it work though. Just one more thing written to get ya to buy it and then forget about....if it is a bad part it is on back order I am sure.

I've never had the alarm go off but I imagine it is the horn that honks?? If so, I can't see the horn "chirping".. I know with my after market for my F250, they do chirp because it's a speaker, not the horn.

My alarm... Limited

I know if you remote start the vechicle and the passager door is opened the alarm will go off. At least mine does.

Once, I had the car running while I was behind the wheel. I sent my son in to the store to swipe a discount card. The screen came up and warned me the FOB was not in the car, then it cut the engine off, and then the alarm went off.

Oakwhite

I had thousands of dollars worth of hunting gear stolen out on my brothers f-150 at 9 am at a Dennys. They broke the window in but the alarm didn't go off. we just stopped there to get a quick bite to eat before we headed out hunting on Christmas eve. I need a system that will sound the alarm when the window is broken in. Probably have to add one to the new X when it comes in. Im sure ford has a system that can be tied into the current system.

Sorry for your loss. I understand. People don't respect private property anymore...

I know I have seen several items like you are speaking about put on by local dealers. My son uses a local person and I will have him inquire about these systems.

I know our local shop can add motion detection with movement. I have seen a laser system at a local car show. Even a system where it can release a canister of gas that will not hurt the car but irritate the intruder.

These guys are good - they added his HID lights, sound, sub, head unit, etc. in my old Yukon.

Also, I have seen people use portable detectors to guard their vehicles while in motels. These are used for detecting animals but are portable small and battery operated. You plug in the main unit where you are sleeping and it will go off if anything gets too close to the car or object in the middle of the detection area.

I am thinking about getting one of these units for the backyard and driveway. They can mount anywhere and are very small laser units.

As soon as I hear something I will post again.

Hope this helps...

Oakwhite

Sorry for your loss. I understand. People don't respect private property anymore...

I know I have seen several items like you are speaking about put on by local dealers. My son uses a local person and I will have him inquire about these systems.

I know our local shop can add motion detection with movement. I have seen a laser system at a local car show. Even a system where it can release a canister of gas that will not hurt the car but irritate the intruder.

These guys are good - they added his HID lights, sound, sub, head unit, etc. in my old Yukon.

Also, I have seen people use portable detectors to guard their vehicles while in motels. These are used for detecting animals but are portable small and battery operated. You plug in the main unit where you are sleeping and it will go off if anything gets too close to the car or object in the middle of the detection area.

I am thinking about getting one of these units for the backyard and driveway. They can mount anywhere and are very small laser units.

As soon as I hear something I will post again.

Hope this helps...

Oakwhite
i just want a system that will go off if the windows break. It would be nice if it could be tied in to the current system. thanks for the advise. I use to live 10 miles from the border in deep south Texas and thats why I had problems. I live in west texas now and don't think there will be any problems here. But... My wifes parents and my parents still live in south Texas and so we visit there several times a year. Thats when I need the system. haha

Back