2013 Explorer Security & Remote Starter Options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Security & Remote Starter Options

Mildot

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer PI
So I'm considering this system below, in combination with a remote starter. I'd like to hear from any "owners/operators" about the system? satisfaction? quality? and if it was worth the "bang for the buck" to you? Thanks

Vehicle Security System - Ford Perimeter Plus

Part No: DL3Z-19A361-A

SRP: $198.57

Get local pricing

Perimeter Plus Remote Start Vehicle Security module adds an effective layer of anti-theft protection to your Ford vehicle. This new accessory contains features not available from the factory and is specifically designed to protect against the theft of contents and accessories in your vehicle.
•No cut, no splice vehicle integration.
•Adjustable, 2-stage shock/impact sensor.
•Arms and disarms with the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the factory key, door-mounted keypad or with ignition key ON.
•Upgrade to One-Way or Bi-Directional remote start.
•Upgrade to Remote Access.
•May qualify for insurance discounts.
- See more at: http://accessories.ford.com/electro...tronic-module-10670.html#sthash.FSgVyNrC.dpuf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump? no owner/operators out there?

What feedback are you looking for exactly? The best part everything is plug and play. I am getting rid of my 13 SHO and pulled my VSS part out which I can sell for $50 plus USPS shipping.

Seeing you have a squad you will need to the hood pin and if you are adding remote start you need the applicable parts for which ever remote start system you are adding.

The security system will add door openings (would imagine hood and liftgate as well) alerts and a shock sensor too.

The "ease" of installation and performance? also some feedback on the remote starter?
So any issues, using or switching over the key FOB,and max distance etc.

I'm looking for a quasi "turn key" unit/installation that won't be a PIA to install or operate. I don't want to involve the "dealer" if I don't have to?. Thanks

You will have to have the dealer enable remote start. No way around that.

You have multiple OEM remote start solutions. See my remote start facts thread.

The hardware is easy to install.

Also your vehicle must have functioning OEM keyless entry for this to all work.

When you get the "new" key Fob do you have to have it cut for your ignition? If you order the alarm & remote start, do you get the FOB and computer? Thanks

I have "keyless" entry, so no problem there. How good is the alarm? too bad they don't offer the new one that locks the doors and rolls up the windows?

I guess you don't understand how the system works.

The VSS is only required for remote start if you go with one of the long range (1000') systems or the remote access (cell phone) kit.

You can use the VSS stand-alone for vehicle security.

If you want to go with the IKT remote start kit you do not need the VSS. Yes you would need the IKT cut for your ignition.

Ya, I guess your right. So what do I have right now? and what are my option and pricing?
So VSS is vehicle security system? Do I have one now on my 2013 Explorer PI?
IKT?

I don't need the "long range" version or the cell phone version.

Send me a PM with your VIN. Chances are you have no security system from the factory.

OK, so I just wanted to give a big "kudo's" to jmr061 & Benny at LevittownFord, very good folks indeed.

So a few more questions?
Where does the VSS install? under the hood?
Is the "shock" sensor a separate unit?
I'm guessing that it also disables the ignition? and monitors the doors? lift gate? hood?

Thanks

OK, so I just wanted to give a big "kudo's" to jmr061 & Benny at LevittownFord, very good folks indeed.

So a few more questions?
Where does the VSS install? under the hood?
Is the "shock" sensor a separate unit?
I'm guessing that it also disables the ignition? and monitors the doors? lift gate? hood?

Thanks

There would be two types:

Early kits plug inline with the TPMS receiver (on a PI thats attached to the back of the panel the 12v outlets are on in the center stack, that is without a center console).

Later kits go in line with the OBD2 diagnostic connector.

So you would mount it anywhere you feel like within reach of those connection points. The harness is about 2 feet long I would say. Maybe a bit longer.

Shock sensor is built into the VSS.

Don't believe it disables the ignition. Yes it monitors that stuff.

There would be two types:

Early kits plug inline with the TPMS receiver (on a PI thats attached to the back of the panel the 12v outlets are on in the center stack, that is without a center console).

Later kits go in line with the OBD2 diagnostic connector.

So you would mount it anywhere you feel like within reach of those connection points. The harness is about 2 feet long I would say. Maybe a bit longer.

Shock sensor is built into the VSS.

Don't believe it disables the ignition. Yes it monitors that stuff.

Thanks, good stuff!!

So any "words of advice" to have it installed in the 'best" location?
I won't be doing the install, but if I can tell them the "best" location I would like to do that.

Cheers

Thanks, good stuff!!

So any "words of advice" to have it installed in 'best" location?
I won't be doing the install, but if I can tell them the "best" location I would like to do that.

Cheers

It should be mounted with the same care that a normal shock sensor would be mounted.

Just installed a Dball2 remote start with ford software on my 2011 xlt. Press lock 3 times on the factory remote and you have start. Cake install, just data and ignition wires and learns like a 3rd key

Back