One Year of Ownership - 2016 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

One Year of Ownership - 2016 Explorer

esdean

Reaction score
City, State
Simpsonville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT w/302a
In January 2022, I purchased a gently used 2016 Explorer from Carvana with 56,000 miles. THANK GOD I purchased the extended warranty. I wanted to take a moment and share everything that has gone wrong in my year of ownership, in an effort to warn anybody thinking about purchasing one of these vehicles.

The Silverrock warranty purchased thru Carvana has covered 100% of these repairs, so thankfully I am not out of pocket on any of this. Here we go with the list of repairs over the last 12 months. Don't forget. This vehicle was purchased with only 56,000 miles and I have put about 18,000 miles on it in the year I've had it.

February 2022 - Driver Heated Seat Module - Replaced at Dealer for $450 (3 days in shop)

March 2022 - Rear View Mirror - Replaced at Dealer for $300 (3 days in shop)

April 2022 - Transmission Rebuild - Rebuilt at Dealer for $2800 (4 weeks in shop)

September 2022 - Tie Rods Replaced - Replaced at NTB for $650 (4 days in shop)

November 2022 - Rack & Pinion Replaced - Replaced at Dealer for $2200 (4.5 weeks in shop)

January 2023 - Passenger Rear Brake Light Assembly - Replaced at NTB for $1060 (3 days in shop)

Yesterday (Feb 1, 2023) - Water Pump - Replaced at Dealer for $2180 (Est. 5 days in shop)

Total Repair Cost - $9,680.00 | Total Time in Shop - 75-80 days

Moral of the story...don't buy an Explorer. If you do, purchase the best warranty you can find.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I have had a 2011 Limited and 2017 Platinum Explorer and didn't have any issues but I'm a very low mileage driver. I currently have a 2023 Aviator on order but would take an Explorer without any hesitation if I had to. The best place to buy an ESP is here; Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members

Peter

Same with my 2016, not many miles per year. 3 years owning it.
77,000 miles
Replaced Battery, Oil changes
Recently Throttle Bobby replaced, $225.
Drivers seat heater element needs replaced, but my option.
Not much for 3 years of reliability.

Looks like you got an unlucky roll of the dice, sorry. All vehicles require maintenance/repairs. Some more, some less and at wildly varying times in their life

We bought a ‘13 XLT about 5 years ago and have put about 40k miles on it, now at 155k. It’s had all(or almost all) the maintenance stuff done, oil pressure sensor, & water pump/timing stuff(check out my diy write-up, shameless plug) done by me in my driveway. I anticipate doing some suspension bits and engine mounts this year as well. Even with that seemingly big list, it’s been a great car. We also towed a camper all over CO last summer(and I mean all over).

What would have been interesting is to have an OASIS pulled on it to see the warranty work done by Ford before doing it. If you had that many issues, I bet it was in the shop many times prior.

I agree, don't buy an Explorer (I don't know where the sarcasm font is located ;) )

Mines coming up on 120K miles and will be 9 years old next month.
Total time in the shop for repairs is something like 5 days.
Air bag light - warranty 1 day
Toe link recall (3x) - 1 day each, one of those was the inspection for the latest
Window trim panel separating - 1 day

I think those are the only issues.

All other items were normal wear and tear and maintenance.

Back