2012 Limited Power Liftgate Not Opening / Closing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Limited Power Liftgate Not Opening / Closing

befohr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT Limited
Hello!

I've been lurking on this forum for years and haven't created an account because I can usually find the answer/s I'm looking for my using the search. However, I have currently run into an issue that I can't seem to find a solution to, and am hoping someone on here might be able to help me out. Here's the story:

I have a 2012 Explorer Limited with all of the power options. Last night while driving, the tailgate ajar notification popped up, so I stopped and checked it out. Everything seemed fine. Tailgate felt securely latched to the back, but the notification wouldn't go away. Got it home and was able to open the tailgate by either pressing the button on the dash or the button on the door itself. But it would not close by doing the same. I hear one chime and get nothing. So I tried to reset the tailgate by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a little bit and then everything quit all together. It will not open or close. Nothing. So I now I can not access the rear at all. Any suggestions on what might be causing this or a fix to get it back to normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have you checked the fuses? There is one for the one for the liftgate release in the cabin fuse panel and another labelled power liftgate in the engine bay fuse panel. I think that's a good place to start. After locking the doors do you hear anything using the unlock or liftgate fob button when standing by the liftgate?
Do you have an XLT or a Limited? They are 2 separate vehicles.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have you checked the fuses? There is one for the one for the liftgate release in the cabin fuse panel and another labelled power liftgate in the engine bay fuse panel. I think that's a good place to start. After locking the doors do you hear anything using the unlock or liftgate fob button when standing by the liftgate?
Do you have an XLT or a Limited? They are 2 separate vehicles.

Peter
Thanks! I have a Limited. Sorry for the confusion there. I did check all of the fuses/relay that were related to the liftgate, yes. I believe there were 3 of them. All of them were fine. I didn't check to hear for any engagement at the locking mechanism, but I will check that and report back once the wife gets home with it. I also did check the voltage of the battery with and without it running and both checked out to be good. I'm thinking it must be a sensor or part of the locking mechanism that must be shot. I'll let you know if I hear any sounds from the locking mechanism when I get the chance. Appreciate the suggestions!

Just a little update. The wife got home from work with it that night and parked it. I got up in the morning and tried to recreate what was happening before and I couldn't. It must have been something with the charging system or something. Either way, it's currently working like normal...for whatever unknown reason.

Back