2013 Explorer XLT 4WD Sucks in snow/AWD turns off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer XLT 4WD Sucks in snow/AWD turns off

Jewmy

Reaction score
City, State
West Saint Paul, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi there,

I recently bought a used 2013 Explorer XLT 4WD back in March, its listed as 4WD and has the knob to adjust to snow mode and all of those. I'm from the midwest and we just had our first big snowfall. I was out driving and I have never had a car do this bad in the snow. It felt like the rear end was sliding all over the highway. Got stuck on little patches of snow when the 2008 Altima behind me could perfectly get through. On my second drive, once the tires were slipping, I got a message on the dash saying "AWD OFF". Looking at the "Intelligent 4WD" Display, It only showed using the front two tires. Then after a while it started using all 4 again.

I have looked around and saw that this may be caused by the PTU overheating? Many recommending just a fluid change. But I also saw another post saying that they had the dealership replace their whole driveshaft and it fixed the problem.

Just a little disappointing to expect a good performance but get the opposite.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 5th gen Explorer is actually AWD. Did you have dedicated Winter tires on it? If not, then you will never get the full benefit of the Explorers ability in Winter conditions. So called All Season tires are only really for 3 seasons as the rubber compound doesn't stay pliable in cold weather. The "knob" is for the Terrain Management System. I had both a 2011 Limited and 2017 Platinum with dedicated Winter tires and had absolutely no issues in snow using just the 'Normal' setting. I only used the 'Snow' setting one night on a snowy stretch of highway.

This is what your Owner's Manual says about 4WD Off;

4WD Off: Displayed when the system has been
automatically disabled to protect itself. This is
caused by operating the vehicle with the
compact spare tire installed or if the system is
overheating. The system will resume normal
function and clear this message after driving a
short distance with the road tire re-installed or
after the system is allowed to cool.

Peter

I could be wrong, but I think the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) isn't present in the compact spare tire and that's how the vehicle knows to shut off the awd when you put the spare on. This problem your having might be explained by a problem with your TPMS. A code reading with forscan or similar might help you figure it out faster.

With regards to an overheating situation, where is the temperature sensor? On the transmission? I don't think there's one on the ptu or the rear differential.

Here is some info on the Explorer and snow.
Snow mode rear end "sway" | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations (explorerforum.com)

TLDR:
Just got it back and he said the rear end was off on both sides. I don't want to get too excited, but on the drive home, it handled the fresh snow without a hitch. No sway whatsoever, and the roads I drove on were a perfect test.
Time will tell if this corrected the problem, but as of now, I am very satisfied and relieved. Just wish I would've started with the alignment!
UNQUOTE

Alignment would be first thing to look at.

Fritz

I disagree with Michael. I think you have an electronic type failure somewhere between the CPU and the wheels, or at the wheels because the battery is dead on the TPMS, or you are overheating and the transmission temperature is tripping the "disable AWD" situation. That its being actively (CPU) disabled is very much different than a physical failure of the AWD system. Good luck. PM me for more worthless advice. :bounce:

If you have all season tires in the snow do not expect them to be very effective. All season tires are just about worthless. We spend the winter in UT and daily drive the most avalanche prone road (UT-210) in North America. Annual snowfall 550". This road is regularly restricted to vehicles with 4WD or chains only. Last fall UDOT changed their restrictions and it is now 4WD, chains, or two wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on the drive wheels. The tires must be full fledged snow tires with the industry designation 3PMSF. I found this curious that a two wheel drive Camry with snow tires was acceptable and considered as good as our Explorer with all season tires. Doing some research I found a study by Transport Canada that in fact confirms exactly that. Two snow tires can be better than an AWD vehicle without them. As a result we bought a set of wheels and 3PMSF tires and the difference is remarkable. Its not just the traction but being able to stop in snowy conditions. Having witnessed many four wheel drive vehicles including Subaru's sliding all over the road snow tires are the answer.

I disagree with Michael. I think you have an electronic type failure somewhere between the CPU and the wheels, or at the wheels because the battery is dead on the TPMS, or you are overheating and the transmission temperature is tripping the "disable AWD" situation. That its being actively (CPU) disabled is very much different than a physical failure of the AWD system. Good luck. PM me for more worthless advice. :bounce:

I disagree with your disagreement.
There is no mention of a TPMS fault by the OP.
The AWD system and temp sensors to the CPU are working.
What I think is happening, is a mechanical problem (alignment, sticky rear brakes) causes the rear end to move around. The Stability System is trying to compensate by (re)moving power to the rear left/right wheels. But it gets into an induced oscillation and the rear swings wider and wider. Eventually the cheezy PTU / Read Diff overheat and the CPU shuts them down.

Fritz

So what tires do you have right now ? is it possible the tires are summer only ? or perhaps bald all season or just mediocre all season? the note of a regular car in this case Altima doing just fine as opposed to your AWD suv sounds familiar and its not the traction control system. I had an 09 Pontiac G8GT on Continental ExtremeContact DWS back when i used to live in Holland, OH and worked in Michigan didn't have much issues and that car with mods was 430rwhp , rwd :) granted OH and Michigan is super flat everywhere you go saved for a couple of bridges here and there. If i lived in the mountains with snow i'll prob stick the SUV with winter tires, my truck and Jeeps will still wear MT or AT tires :)

Back