Rear end sliding in snow and rain at 20MPH | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear end sliding in snow and rain at 20MPH

Craigrob

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford explorer
I recently got a new rear differential I stalled under warranty. One gun t it was raining hard and the 2017 Explorer I have was sliding back and forth o the highway at 35 mph. We blamed it on bad tires and got new cheap tires from Walmart. No problems until a decent snow and again the Explorer is sliding everywhere at as low as 20mph. The back tires felt like snow, but it felt as I'd one tire got power and then the other and back and forth. Cut to tonight and the same problem. When I'm accelerating there is no loss of traction and I should add that we got another new expensive set of tires before tonight's episode. As soon as you let off the gas e en at 20 mph the rear end is sliding back and forth back and forth. It just can't be the tires. I'm wondering if something's messed up in the traction control system. How does that system work? It's as if power is being sent to o e rear tire and then the other while coasting with my foot off the gas at 20-30mph. I took my 4wd truck out in the same snow and there was no issue driving at all. Same tires as the Explorer with less tread. Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently got a new rear differential I stalled under warranty. One gun t it was raining hard and the 2017 Explorer I have was sliding back and forth o the highway at 35 mph. We blamed it on bad tires and got new cheap tires from Walmart. No problems until a decent snow and again the Explorer is sliding everywhere at as low as 20mph. The back tires felt like snow, but it felt as I'd one tire got power and then the other and back and forth. Cut to tonight and the same problem. When I'm accelerating there is no loss of traction and I should add that we got another new expensive set of tires before tonight's episode. As soon as you let off the gas e en at 20 mph the rear end is sliding back and forth back and forth. It just can't be the tires. I'm wondering if something's messed up in the traction control system. How does that system work? It's as if power is being sent to o e rear tire and then the other while coasting with my foot off the gas at 20-30mph. I took my 4wd truck out in the same snow and there was no issue driving at all. Same tires as the Explorer with less tread. Please help!
Welcome to the forum!

Is your Explorer AWD? Why was the rear differential changed?

Are there any trouble lights on?

Is this your first winter with this truck?

If it didn't behave like this before the new rear was installed they may have missed something. It could be as simple as the wiring harness wasn't plugged back in correctly for the rear diff. I would take it back and have them check it.

In the meantime you can always try disconnecting the battery for a while and see if anything mysteriously resets and the problem goes away.

Welcome to the Forum :wave:
I don't think that particular issue has been posted about before. Although I firmly believe in the use of dedicated Winter tires at this time, I doubt it is the tires that are the cause of the issue. Being that the Explorer is FWD biased, I don't know why the rears would come into play simply by letting off the accelerator.

Peter

What cheap Walmart tires did you buy? Does the traction control light blink?

What cheap Walmart tires did you buy? Does the traction control light blink?
Season's Greetings. He replaced those "cheap Walmart" ones with a more expensive set but had the same problem. but didn't mention what brand they were. I don't think the tires are the issue here.

Peter

That’s not how it reads to me. It reads to me that he blamed the tires and got a cheap replacement set from Walmart.

I could see it being a combo of poor tires (like wranglers) and someone used to AWD being easy to break the rear end loose. I often spin RWDs after being used to the traction of my AWD.

That’s not how it reads to me. It reads to me that he blamed the tires and got a cheap replacement set from Walmart.

I could see it being a combo of poor tires (like wranglers) and someone used to AWD being easy to break the rear end loose. I often spin RWDs after being used to the traction of my AWD.
From his original post; "and I should add that we got another new expensive set of tires before tonight's episode.";)

Lol. I even read it twice.

On your 2017 Explorer--one person asked why the differential was replaced and that should be key to the problem. How many miles were on your Explorer when it was replaced? I can see a variety of potential problems with this type of 4WD used. As a PTU is used instead of a transfer case with a differential--the rear differential is required to match the revolutions of the right front wheel. If there is any problem with the rear wheel bearings, rear brakes, rear axles, rear differential and its bearings or the electronics controlling the brakes-the problem you have observed could easily happen. As the tires are new and the diameters should match-that would be out of the equation. Unless electronics are the source of the problem, they are trying to correct for a problem with one of the mentioned items. I would start with disabling the traction control on an empty road for safety and also be sure the selector is in the normal driving mode. Also be sure the selector for hill descent is off.

I dont think I ha e read on here that a rear diff was ever replaced on the 5th gen. There might be a different issue causing the failures and issues.

I’d talk to place that put it in. Maybe they mixed up the diff with one to an edge or other similar drivetrain and gear ratio is slightly different, so when it engages it causes different wheel speeds than front wheels. It’s a long shot, but worth asking. Maybe it’s s rebuilt unit with wrong gear ratio.

I’d talk to place that put it in. Maybe they mixed up the diff with one to an edge or other similar drivetrain and gear ratio is slightly different, so when it engages it causes different wheel speeds than front wheels. It’s a long shot, but worth asking. Maybe it’s s rebuilt unit with wrong gear ratio.
That would also be a possibility.

On your 2017 Explorer--one person asked why the differential was replaced and that should be key to the problem. How many miles were on your Explorer when it was replaced? I can see a variety of potential problems with this type of 4WD used. As a PTU is used instead of a transfer case with a differential--the rear differential is required to match the revolutions of the right front wheel. If there is any problem with the rear wheel bearings, rear brakes, rear axles, rear differential and its bearings or the electronics controlling the brakes-the problem you have observed could easily happen. As the tires are new and the diameters should match-that would be out of the equation. Unless electronics are the source of the problem, they are trying to correct for a problem with one of the mentioned items. I would start with disabling the traction control on an empty road for safety and also be sure the selector is in the normal driving mode. Also be sure the selector for hill descent is off.
That was me, I was suspicious that this issue could be related to the repair, or other damage that was missed.

Too bad that was glazed over to point out the obvious fact that I missed it was an AWD ........

Where did the OP go?
That Post was hard to read but at one point he wrote that: 'It's as if power is being sent to one rear tire and then the other while coasting with my foot off the gas at 20-30mph.'
If it's not related to the differential repair it almost sounds like the rear brakes or anti-lock system is involved.

Just sent the OP a PM. Will see what happens. On holidays??:dunno:
Peter
Good idea, no sense in all of us using our Sherlock Holmes hats without the OP present and accounted for... :laugh:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have experienced what OP mentioned up top…My 2017 makes me wish I had a 1999 in all types of precipitation.

Back