2013 Front End Noise - Part Replacement Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Front End Noise - Part Replacement Question

Stewart194

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrence, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone! New member / new Ford Explorer owner. We just bought a used 2013 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD and we really like the vehicle. My parents have had two Explorers, my grandpa was a Ford guy, etc, etc. This is our first Explorer but I have owned a few other Fords in the past when I was young. (90 Mustang 5.0 / 94 Ranger) This explorer has 144,000 miles on it.

Right away we noticed a noise in the front end that we did not pick up on during our initial test drive. It only happens at really slow speeds, in the parking lot while turning, or at a stand still when turning the wheels. No noise at highway speeds and no handling issues. It handles just fine. A quick search online shows this is a really common problem.

My question is, is this a safety concern or just an annoying problem? When I replace the entire strut assembly, what brand of part should I purchase? Should I stick with Ford or go with a better / specific aftermarket brand? If I go with Ford will it just start doing this again?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Stewart. :wave:
Personally, I would stick with Ford parts but would not order them from the Fordparts website. Too expensive.

Peter

levittown ford parts is a vendor on this site. tousleyfordparts.com has also had good deals in my experience!

is the issue caused by a bushing? if so, unless there is an aftermarket fix for anything, i tend to stick Ford or MOOG if ferd is too expensive. if a bushing is a cause and theres a poly bushing available, then i go with energy suspension.

TLDR: Ford usually, MOOG if no ford, energy suspension if youre into poly bushings

Thanks guys! Found another Youtube video for 1A Auto Parts. The tutorial on how to replace them was great, but the user reviews on their brand of strut assemblies is not great. Several customers saying that the noise is worse than before. Will definitely take your advice and order Ford parts from the website you mentioned.

Would still love to hear from someone with this same problem on this same 5th generation vehicle. If the problem is just going to come back right away and if it isn't a safety concern I will probably let it go for now. If I can fix it and get another 150,000 miles before it returns I would go that route. The issue and noise are exactly what this guy describes.

Will also look into MOOG parts. I'm not familiar with them. Thanks again!

I would go with oem ford Motorcraft parts.

Back