• Register Today It's free!

2013 liftgate problem

Jessie8313

Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
I drive a 2013 Ford Explorer with a power liftgate. Most of the time when I open it, it opens all the way but then starts to chime and starts to shut. It will then stop and go back up and the chime again and then starts to shut again. It will continue to do this a few times until it either just stops halfway open or closes again completely. Does anyone know what problem this could be and what part needs to be replaced?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the liftgate foot activated on this model? It almost sounds as if it is triggering erroneously. There is also an anti pinch switch that might cause the motion to reverse as as safety item.

Is the liftgate foot activated on this model? It almost sounds as if it is triggering erroneously. There is also an anti pinch switch that might cause the motion to reverse as as safety item.
Not, it is not foot activated. It just started doing this about a month ago and it it is at random times. There doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason to when it does it. And it will not stay fully open, when I try to set it to the max height it’s still lowers a four or so and I have to hold it up.

I had to have the motor replaced on my '13. It sounded like it was binding throughout the range. That might cause it to reverse, if it's thinking it's hitting something.

I had to have the motor replaced on my '13. It sounded like it was binding throughout the range. That might cause it to reverse, if it's thinking it's hitting something.
Is there an actual motor Jon? All I was able to find was the 'actuator' on the AutoNation parts site.

Peter

I believe the foot activation only came out starting on the 2016.

Peter

Back