• Register Today It's free!

Automatic Liftgate problems

Dawigs

Reaction score
City, State
Braselton, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
I’m having problems with my 2014 Explorer Limited automatic liftgate. I have accomplished the reset with no luck. Most of the time, the liftgate will not open when using the FOB, the liftgate button from the driver’s seat, or the button on the liftgate. It does open occasionally. When a button is pushed, you can hear the latch cycle, but it will not open. You can raise it manually and it will close automatically. I replaced the latch assembly because I thought it wasn’t releasing and it fixed the problem for one day. Now it only opens automatically 10% of the time. I‘m assuming the actuator drive motor is going bad, but I’m hesitant to blindly replace more parts without troubleshooting the actual problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It is likely the liftgate motor that is the issue. Have you tried opening it partway manually and then trying the fob again to see what it does?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It is likely the liftgate motor that is the issue. Have you tried opening it partway manually and then trying the fob again to see what it does?

Peter
Yes, if you open it slightly and try the FOB the liftgate doesn’t move. Sometimes you can get it to open if you apply a slight pull on the liftgate while pressing the FOB from the fully closed position.

Yes, if you open it slightly and try the FOB the liftgate doesn’t move. Sometimes you can get it to open if you apply a slight pull on the liftgate while pressing the FOB from the fully closed position.
Looks like the motor to me.

Back