2013 Limited peeling paint on seal under roof rack | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Limited peeling paint on seal under roof rack

nitzer51

Reaction score
City, State
seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer LTD
did a super quick search and could not find anything on here-- Has anyone else noticed the paint peeling off of the flexible seal at the end of the roof rack (after the flush black plastic piece) right by the tail gate? Wondering the best way to fix this/prevent it from peeling more without having to repaint the actual body of the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did a super quick search and could not find anything on here-- Has anyone else noticed the paint peeling off of the flexible seal at the end of the roof rack (after the flush black plastic piece) right by the tail gate? Wondering the best way to fix this/prevent it from peeling more without having to repaint the actual body of the car.
A picture would help. I have attached one I took. Is that the area you are talking about? If so, I don't see any painted flexible seal.

Peter

Attachments

• P7230101_1.JPG
    P7230101_1.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 340

A picture would help. I have attached one I took. Is that the area you are talking about? If so, I don't see any painted flexible seal.

Peter

I know a pic would help. Thank you for posting that Peter! I just dropped her off at the dealer to get my remote access installed. Will post one when I get her back. That is the area I am referring to. Just after the black flush plastic there is about 3/4-1/2" of space and you can see paint peeling on mine. If you press on that area, you'll notice some give. I have a 2013.

I know a pic would help. Thank you for posting that Peter! I just dropped her off at the dealer to get my remote access installed. Will post one when I get her back. That is the area I am referring to. Just after the black flush plastic there is about 3/4-1/2" of space and you can see paint peeling on mine. If you press on that area, you'll notice some give. I have a 2013.

Mine seems more like some silicon/rubber sealant in there on top of the paint in that place, not paint on top of the silicon/rubber

There was a post a year ago or so about the rain gutter. I don't know what the latest models are like but the 2011 shows bumps where I presume the rivets are. Looks like bubbles but really isn't, at least not in my case.

Peter

Attachments

• P3030317a.jpg
    P3030317a.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 306

... I just dropped her off at the dealer to get my remote access installed...

Hi nitzer51,

Did you mention the peeling paint to your dealership when you brought it in for service? Getting this documented and addressed is a great next step. I'm happy to do what I can to assist as well; send me a PM with your information (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) to get the ball rolling.

Crystal

Hi nitzer51,

Did you mention the peeling paint to your dealership when you brought it in for service? Getting this documented and addressed is a great next step. I'm happy to do what I can to assist as well; send me a PM with your information (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) to get the ball rolling.

Crystal

I sure did and the service writer confirmed what I thought: They would have to paint portions of the body as well. I definitely do not want to do that! Hopefully I can pick the ex up tonight and photograph it.

It is definitely sealant under paint.

Back