2013 PIU Remote Keyless Locks and Start Procedure | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 PIU Remote Keyless Locks and Start Procedure

The range should be around 300'. Do you have anything plugged into the power points or USB slots? That has been known to interfere with the fob.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also noticed rather unfortunate range on my '13. I have a phone charger in my cig lighter on my still installed Havis police center console. Power coming from whatever police power wiring harness in there. I don't have factory power or usb.
Fobs are OEM with new batteries.

The range should be around 300'. Do you have anything plugged into the power points or USB slots? That has been known to interfere with the fob.

Peter

Nope, no extra accessories of any kind.
I also noticed rather unfortunate range on my '13. I have a phone charger in my cig lighter on my still installed Havis police center console. Power coming from whatever police power wiring harness in there. I don't have factory power or usb.
Fobs are OEM with new batteries.

Interesting. I'm going to do some.experimenting and research on what affects the range on these things. For context, I have both the tall silver-and-black remote with the remote start button and the key insert, as well as the square-ish normal 3-button keyfob with no key attached, and both have this terrible range. I'll report back with my findings if I find anything that helps.

I may have found a solution. 2018 Ford Remote Start Ultra-Long Range Extender Antenna JS7Z-15603-A | Varsity Ford

I do not currently have any kind of antenna plugged into the TPMS/remote signal receiver module - it's just an empty antenna plug. I'm gonna buy this and see if it adds to the range! I really hope it works! People have advised to try to run this up into the headliner of the vehicle if possible. Apparently this is made for f-150s but I can't see how it would work any different for any other vehicle as long as the plug is the same. It's just an antenna... Hoping the $23 ends up being worth it.

Reviving this thread, hopefully someone can help.

Want to add to my 2013 FPIU. Ordered this key: OEM FORD 80 BIT SA KEYLESS REMOTE HEAD COMBO FOB TRANSMITTER 164-R8000 5921467 | eBay (weird, it was $39.95 when I bought it, not $139.95). I installed my hood switch and tried to program the key before I dug into the ForScan enable for the remote start, and it won't program. Is this the wrong key? Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Reviving this thread, hopefully someone can help.

Want to add to my 2013 FPIU. Ordered this key: OEM FORD 80 BIT SA KEYLESS REMOTE HEAD COMBO FOB TRANSMITTER 164-R8000 5921467 | eBay (weird, it was $39.95 when I bought it, not $139.95). I installed my hood switch and tried to program the key before I dug into the ForScan enable for the remote start, and it won't program. Is this the wrong key? Can someone please point me in the right direction? Going to enable remote start now that I installed the switch, but doesn't seem like it'll be much good without a working key. Part number/more detailed info would've been helpful on the original post since I had to guesstimate off the title of the ad that was pasted in.

Thanks.
That appears to be a key for a Ford Police interceptor SEDAN, not a UTILITY - you can tell because of the trunk release button, which the utility does not have. Here is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VPK8G8S/?tag=serious-20

I don't think that's it, the original post says PIU and refers to "truck" while referencing the same 164-R8000 key. So, it should work, the trunk button would just be useless. I know the programming routine, and re-programmed my three regular remotes as a sanity check, although for some reason, it only honks once now when I hit lock 2x instead of honking twice. It used to honk twice before I tried programming the new key, and I did all this before I even hooked up the laptop.

I also checked every code referenced in the original post (echoing on 10/11 being switched on my vehicle as well). Pretty much everything is already set, keyless entry is set, remote start is enabled for some reason (I had asked the dealer to enable remote start when they disabled dark mode). I installed my hood switch. The only thing that's off is the 720-01-03 line in IPC as built. It currently reads 808A 0000 (assuming these 0000s are just placeholders and we're protecting this number for some reason) 2D. I tried to enter and write either B5 or 35, and it said it was doing it and then to cycle the key off and on, but it remains 2D. Is this maybe the missing link to make the new key work?

I asked the eBay seller if I'd bought the wrong one, and they insisted it couldn't work for police cars and they had to use the key + remote combo. But again, it's referenced in the first post here.

Needless to say I'm a little frustrated currently as I've put a couple hundred bucks into the parts, software, and a cheap Toughbook to do this, and I don't know why it isn't working.

I also tried enabling the compass for the heck of it under the normal IPC menu, I set it to enable and it would say enabled, but nothing was there.

Hopefully that's enough info to go off.

I don't think that's it, the original post says PIU and refers to "truck" while referencing the same 164-R8000 key. So, it should work, the trunk button would just be useless. I know the programming routine, and re-programmed my three regular remotes as a sanity check, although for some reason, it only honks once now when I hit lock 2x instead of honking twice. It used to honk twice before I tried programming the new key, and I did all this before I even hooked up the laptop.

I also checked every code referenced in the original post (echoing on 10/11 being switched on my vehicle as well). Pretty much everything is already set, keyless entry is set, remote start is enabled for some reason (I had asked the dealer to enable remote start when they disabled dark mode). I installed my hood switch. The only thing that's off is the 720-01-03 line in IPC as built. It currently reads 808A 0000 (assuming these 0000s are just placeholders and we're protecting this number for some reason) 2D. I tried to enter and write either B5 or 35, and it said it was doing it and then to cycle the key off and on, but it remains 2D. Is this maybe the missing link to make the new key work?

I asked the eBay seller if I'd bought the wrong one, and they insisted it couldn't work for police cars and they had to use the key + remote combo. But again, it's referenced in the first post here.

Needless to say I'm a little frustrated currently as I've put a couple hundred bucks into the parts, software, and a cheap Toughbook to do this, and I don't know why it isn't working.

I also tried enabling the compass for the heck of it under the normal IPC menu, I set it to enable and it would say enabled, but nothing was there.

Hopefully that's enough info to go off.
Very weird... All I know is that the remote I bought and linked to you works just fine with remote start and locking and unlocking the car, and it has a key inside of it as well that you can have cut for an FPIU. As for the compass, if you don't have SYNC, then the compass won't work - tried that myself as well. Hopefully someone else can chime in with info for you about the remote though. Good luck!

Swapped the batteries from the new remote key and my regular working fob, ruled out the battery on the new one as a culprit. I'd really like to have a combination key/remote in a fixed arrangement like the key I bought and supposedly works for the application, since I'd want a key with more meat on the head than the valet key in the remote you linked and it'd be a bulkier keychain if I had a standalone key and that big remote. Thanks for trying.

I spoke to the eBay store's locksmith, apparently the OEM Ford key won't work because of how it's designed. Something to do with the chip. Going to exchange it with them for an aftermarket one of the same design and see if that'll take to the programming.

Guessing from what others have said in this thread, if I can't change the 720-01-03 line and my key remotes work and program, don't worry about it?

I spoke to the eBay store's locksmith, apparently the OEM Ford key won't work because of how it's designed. Something to do with the chip. Going to exchange it with them for an aftermarket one of the same design and see if that'll take to the programming.

Guessing from what others have said in this thread, if I can't change the 720-01-03 line and my key remotes work and program, don't worry about it?
The FPIU does not use a key chip like typical anti-theft vehicles like the civilian explorer. So that's odd. But as for the ForSCAN question, yeah, I'd say don't worry about it assuming the keyfobs work and program. Just keep in mind that you don't need to program the key itself because there isn't a receiver in the FPIU for a chip; you only need to program the remote.

Yeah, this key is intended for a civilian Explorer I'm pretty sure. Just everything I read said it should work for an FPIU, so maybe people were actually using aftermarket ones and not saying it. But for whatever reason, it can't communicate with the FPIU. Who knows, maybe that's what 720-01-03 would do if it worked on mine.

Cool thread, I ran into an issue if anyone has any advice. I ordered all parts, got the programming done and when I went to attempt to program my new fobs the locks never seem to cycle when I do the On/Off thing 8 times. I tried going super fast, slow, driverside door lock sequence with the door open and then closed. At no point do the locks trigger to let me know its ready for the fob.

Any ideas? It's a 2015 PIU AWD.

Cool thread, I ran into an issue if anyone has any advice. I ordered all parts, got the programming done and when I went to attempt to program my new fobs the locks never seem to cycle when I do the On/Off thing 8 times. I tried going super fast, slow, driverside door lock sequence with the door open and then closed. At no point do the locks trigger to let me know its ready for the fob.

Did you add the remote key entry module? After that, did you enable it in FORscan?

Welcome to the Forum Mike. :wave:

Peter

Did you add the remote key entry module? After that, did you enable it in FORscan?
I thought I did when I made those two changes. Apparently there was a like saying to open a separate thing to enable that. Thanks for the advice! It works to sync the keys!!

I thought I did when I made those two changes. Apparently there was a like saying to open a separate thing to enable that. Thanks for the advice! It works to sync the keys!!
Great to hear! I'm becoming a pro at this stuff from all the attention this thread's getting haha!

Aftermarket remote key came today, programmed right up and my remote start works. Maybe the original one I bought was defective (seller said it was tested and I tried swapping the battery, so every sign points to no), but there probably is something about OEM vs. aftermarket and only aftermarket working on FPIUs for some reason. I do wish I'd figured out sooner that all I needed was the hood switch and the key (when I first bought my FPIU back in early 2018, I brought it to the dealer and asked them to disable dark car, enable horn with lock, and remote start, and they said it didn't have remote start so they couldn't - lo and behold, like I said before, remote start was already enabled when I went in Forscan a week or two ago so obviously the tech enabled it and never told the service advisor it was enabled/what I needed). Been through a few cold winters with it where it would've been nice to have before now.

Either way, got it done and on to adding keyless entry to my CVPI.

If anyone else is adding remote start, make sure you go with this key. The trunk button will be useless on an FPIU (I assume the same key would work for an FPIS and your trunk button will work there, but know nothing about them). Listing all the information not as spam or as advertising, but because I went through the hassle of buying and returning one which should've worked based on the original post and didn't, so want to save others the hassle and make sure they get the right aftermarket one.

eBay item number: 114426653040

Direct link (delete space after https, embed below): https ://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-5B-REPLACEMENT-80-BIT-KEYLESS-REMOTE-HEAD-FOB-FOR-FORD-164-R8000-5921467-/114426653040?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&customid=link&campid=&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

NEW 5B REPLACEMENT 80 BIT KEYLESS REMOTE HEAD FOB FOR FORD 164-R8000 5921467​

FCC ID: CWTWB1U793
IC: 1788A-FWB1U793
P/N: 164-R8000
STRATTEC P/N: 5921467

5 BUTTON REMOTE​

WITH REMOTE START OPTION​

80 BIT MODE​

eBay seller's name is 1midatlanticlocksmith, $19.95 shipped for one.

I went to attempt to program my new fobs the locks never seem to cycle when I do the On/Off thing 8 times. I tried going super fast, slow, driverside door lock sequence with the door open and then closed. At no point do the locks trigger to let me know its ready for the fob.
It's OFF/ON.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the amazing writeup and suggestions everyone. I just accomplished this today, and it all works perfectly. In case someone wants to do this themselves, I followed the directions on the first post, except instead of using the "BdyCM As-Built", I just went into the "BdyCM" page, and you can change values with a simple dropdown selector, and not have to worry about blindly changing values, it was super easy!
Here's what I bought, and I have a 2014 Police Interceptor Utility 3.5EB with Sync.
So for a total of $65, I now have keyless entry and remote start. If you have everything before you start, it may take you an hour to do all of this, but probably closer to 15 minutes unless you meander around inside ForScan finding other fun things you can change!

Back