Jacc306

Reaction score
City, State
Mentor, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Callsign
Jacc
Hello, I’m having some trouble locating a steering rack for a 2013 Explorer XLT 3.5 w/o park assist.
No one seems to have anything in stock, either new or rebuilt and the dealer is saying 8 months and around $1800,
Mine was assembled before 9/4/12 which is apparently when Ford changed to a different rack for the 13 model. Besides the cost of needing programmed at the dealer, this is getting a little more expensive than it’s worth considering the wait time. My question: Is this rack really specific to a couple production months? I can get the 2012 model rack or after 9/4/12 for the 13 model year but mine seems to be the unicorn. Does anyone know if the 2012 rack will work although it’s a different part number?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I’m having some trouble locating a steering rack for a 2013 Explorer XLT 3.5 w/o park assist.
No one seems to have anything in stock, either new or rebuilt and the dealer is saying 8 months and around $1800,
Mine was assembled before 9/4/12 which is apparently when Ford changed to a different rack for the 13 model. Besides the cost of needing programmed at the dealer, this is getting a little more expensive than it’s worth considering the wait time. My question: Is this rack really specific to a couple production months? I can get the 2012 model rack or after 9/4/12 for the 13 model year but mine seems to be the unicorn. Does anyone know if the 2012 rack will work although it’s a different part number?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you have the parts numbers for both racks?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you have the parts numbers for both racks?

Peter
Hi Peter,
The number they show for mine should be
DB5Z-3504-P and the 2012 is BB5Z-3504-L
Thanks,

Not inexpensive.
According to the Fitment Guide, the 2012 should fit the 2013 XLT.
Now I don't know about whether they are in stock. Levittown is a Forum vendor and offers members a discount.
Benny has been very helpful in answering member's questions. Perhaps if you decide to go that route, you can give him a call.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks for your help Peter! I’ll try that.

Back