• Register Today It's free!

New steering rack

toms2012

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer
I got the steering rack replaced this month due to the power assist fault recall. I am not sure if the new handling characteristics are same as before. The vehicle does seem different now. When going down the interstate I am constantly correcting the steering. If I make a slight correction left or right than the Explorer takes off in that direction. The vehicle does not want to return to a neutral straight path. The steering does not pull left or right but will continue to drift in whatever direction I corrected. I have new Goodyear tires with less the 200 miles on them, but vehicle had same character two days before with original equipment tires. Anyone else have the rack replaced and had similarities?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the steering rack replaced this month due to the power assist fault recall. I am not sure if the new handling characteristics are same as before. The vehicle does seem different now. When going down the interstate I am constantly correcting the steering. If I make a slight correction left or right than the Explorer takes off in that direction...

Since you're concerned, toms2012, it wouldn't hurt to have your dealership check this out to ensure everything is within spec. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

re sterring

I got the steering rack replaced this month due to the power assist fault recall. I am not sure if the new handling characteristics are same as before. The vehicle does seem different now. When going down the interstate I am constantly correcting the steering. If I make a slight correction left or right than the Explorer takes off in that direction. The vehicle does not want to return to a neutral straight path. The steering does not pull left or right but will continue to drift in whatever direction I corrected. I have new Goodyear tires with less the 200 miles on them, but vehicle had same character two days before with original equipment tires. Anyone else have the rack replaced and had similarities?

I think alinement is off some .I have a 2012 and just came in from a drive and this i checked It is as straight as an arrow with hands of wheel .Take it back and have aline checked

The alignment was set when the steering rack was replaced. The Explorer has just over 45xxx on it. The tires were replaced 3 days after having the rack replaced and exhibited the same issue with steering. I don't have time to get it in this week but i do think it deserves another look by the techs.

but i do think it deserves another look by the techs.

Take it to an independent shop that specializes in alignment and pay to have it done right.

[MENTION=190968]toms2012[/MENTION]. Your issue with the tracking is one of the symptoms I am currently experiencing on my brand new Ex. Mine does pull to the right, though. It does also not want to return to center when making minor steering corrections. My Ex is in the shop now. They've aligned the front wheels to death, and it's not working. Hopefully it is just a defective steering rack.

[MENTION=190968]toms2012[/MENTION]. Your issue with the tracking is one of the symptoms I am currently experiencing on my brand new Ex. Mine does pull to the right, though. It does also not want to return to center when making minor steering corrections. My Ex is in the shop now. They've aligned the front wheels to death, and it's not working. Hopefully it is just a defective steering rack.

The alignment was set when the steering rack was replaced. The Explorer has just over 45xxx on it. The tires were replaced 3 days after having the rack replaced and exhibited the same issue with steering. I don't have time to get it in this week but i do think it deserves another look by the techs.

Send me your info in a PM, toms2012; I want to get your regional customer service manager involved. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Thanks for keeping us updated on your Explorer, rfs2005. I checked out your case and see that your CSM left a message for you this morning. They'll be following up with you again on Wednesday. Be sure to let me know if you need any additional assistance. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I thought a follow up was in order. After driving a Focus for the month it took to fix my Explorer my vehicle is driving great. The new steering rack has exceeded my hopes after learning to 'feel' the Explorer again. Coupled with new tires the ride and handling is better than new. The new steering rack has as a bonus eliminated the majority of torque steer. I can now stomp the gas pedal without the fear of veering left.

Thanks for the offer of help Crystal. Glad we didnt have to go further with this issue.

Hopefully I won't have this issue, won't have my Explorer back for another 3-5 weeks they said. Parts are on back order.

Now I have to drive in a little Focus... can't tow my boat with the Focus... :mad:

I thought a follow up was in order. After driving a Focus for the month it took to fix my Explorer my vehicle is driving great. The new steering rack has exceeded my hopes after learning to 'feel' the Explorer again. Coupled with new tires the ride and handling is better than new. The new steering rack has as a bonus eliminated the majority of torque steer. I can now stomp the gas pedal without the fear of veering left.

Thanks for the offer of help Crystal. Glad we didnt have to go further with this issue.

I got the recall done several weeks ago. I did NOT have a new steering rack installed because I didn't have any problems previously. They only updated the software on mine.

Just like you, I noticed that after the software update was done that torque steer is basically gone.

Hopefully I won't have this issue, won't have my Explorer back for another 3-5 weeks they said. Parts are on back order.

Now I have to drive in a little Focus... can't tow my boat with the Focus... :mad:

I'd like to look into this further, gomli. Please send me a private message with your full name, VIN, updated odometer reading, best daytime contact number, servicing dealership, and some information about the parts you're waiting on. I'll be on the lookout for your response.

Brittany

Back