2013 wipers only work after turning them on high | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 wipers only work after turning them on high

Figure out anything?

Yes I have!! Just went to the dealer today.

It was the wiper motor! It was starting to go bad. Actually, on the way to the dealer, it stopped working all together. It would wipe once when turned to high and then stop where ever on the windshield.

I asked them to check on the relay circuit after replacement and they informed me that the control circuit is built into the wiper motor assembly. So, replace the motor, replace the control circuit by default.

The new motor is working fine and no problems at all since. (It is raining here today)

Hope this helps someone else that encounters the same problems!:D

So glad I found this thread!!!

The wipers on my 2013 Explorer Limited started doing this exact same thing just last week. I tried one of the above suggestions - turned the autowiper feature off - and they work fine at all speeds (though not automatically, obviously). All other features (auto high beam, lane assist, etc.) appear to be working fine.

So, do I presume the rain sensor is the culprit? Is it worth the cost of repair?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Not sure about the repair cost. I don't recall seeing a post about a replacement/repair for the sensor. I believe the sensor is part of the rearview mirror mounting bracket.
Please add the model (Limited) to your profile so it show in the margin.
Thanks and good luck.

Peter

Oddly enough - I had to perform a Master Reset of the Ford Sync system (I replaced my battery and thereafter the satellite radio had a "No Signal" message across the screen even though the satellite was playing fine). This reset all systems to the original factory settings, including the auto-wiper/rain sensor function. So far it has been working fine.

Not sure what is going on, but I throw this out there as a possible fix for anyone having this problem in the future as it (unintentionally) fixed my problem.

A word of warning -- a Master Reset will wipe out all stored memory/settings. So you will have to reprogram you radio, satellite, GPS addresses, etc.

Back