2013 XLT headrests are getting on my nerves... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 XLT headrests are getting on my nerves...

Omg my kids would *TOTALLY* do that... Awesome suggestion!! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Adjust your mirrors as recommended previously. I never have to worry about a blind spot.

Since that linked article doesn't tell you exactly how to get the proper adjustment on your mirrors, the best way to follow SAE is by placing your head against the drivers window and adjusting the driver side mirror until you just see the edge of your vehicle, and then lean your head toward the very middle of the car and adjust the passenger side mirror until you just see the edge of your vehicle.

This should put the mirrors about 15 degrees out from the standard adjustment, and make it so that you have no blind spots (when used in conjunction with a windshield mounted rear view mirror).

The SAE recommendations also don't apply to cars w/out a windshield mounted rear view mirror, or an opaque back, you should still adjust the mirrors so you can see the tail of your vehicle in those cases.

I agree, the third row headrests block a lot of the visibility from the rear view mirror when they are up. The right side headrest somehow broke and will and will not stay up now. Wife said one of the kids broke it. Under warranty so it will be replaced next week.

A couple of ideas would help:

1. Leaving them down when not in use helps a lot, but you have to get out of the car to do that. A simple solenoid latch with a button for the driver to remotely lower the headrest would work. It would also allow you to slap the kids in the back of the head when they ask "are we there yet?". (patent pending)

2. A button the activate the rear view cam while driving to see what's going on behind you would supplement the lack of visibility. Then you can enable it to snap a pic of the guy waving a weapon (or a finger) at you. Download to SD card and post on you tube.

You need a School Bus not an Explorer.....Plum

Back