2013 XLT headrests are getting on my nerves... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 XLT headrests are getting on my nerves...

FordMomof3

Reaction score
City, State
S.E. Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT (!!!!)
I can't see out the right back window (for blind spot check) while I'm driving.

This is the *only* thing about this vehicle that I don't like or I don't think "works" properly.

I"m considering taking them out. It's the 2nd row, passenger headrest that is the problem. All the rest are a non-issue (though I don't understand why they're so high). I wish they were all like the middle seat 2nd row. That would be perfect.

So - are there any other options besides removing them? Husband suggested folding down the 3rd row - but that's not really an issue and then you have to remember to put them down if no one is sitting there, etc. No thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There should be a pull strap to flip down the third row headrests, I keep mine stowed to provide some rear visual clearances. Welcome to the forum.

I would keep those flipped down but when all the kids are in the car - someone is back there. And I've been told they're not that comfortable when flipped down ;)

But the 3rd row aren't the big problem it's the 2nd row. Again, where people sit most of the time. Just trying to see if there's an alternative to removing them altogether.

Thanks for the thought!

Cut a hole in the center of the headrest?

Or how about this:

9538d1144898707-f-s-mesh-headrest-picture.jpg

You could also remove the foam and replace it with a piece of acrylic or glass? :D

Oh VinceL - you are such a yuckster.

Did you try raising your seat height to give you a better view when you check those blind spots?
I would not remove the 2nd row headrests, since they are designed to reduce neck whiplash in the unfortunate event of a crash.

there is a pull strap to flip the second row headrest forward as well, but then if you put someone in that seat, that would be really uncomfortable for them unless they are short enough that it flips on top of their head. Then its like a little roof for them :)

"Yuckster" Ha! :D

I would keep those flipped down but when all the kids are in the car - someone is back there. And I've been told they're not that comfortable when flipped down ;)

But the 3rd row aren't the big problem it's the 2nd row. Again, where people sit most of the time. Just trying to see if there's an alternative to removing them altogether.

Thanks for the thought!
Even though I have the BLIS system, I still installed the 2" convex stick-on mirrors on both outside mirrors and I probably rely on them more than the BLIS since I've used them for longer than I care to admit.
If you do not have the BLIS, do the outside mirrors not have a blindspot mirror integrated into them?

Peter

PeterK9 -
I do have BLIS. I guess I'm surprised this is like this since BLIS is an *option* on the vehicle and not standard. I don't want to have to rely on things like BLIS or the backup camera - I should be able to see out the windows without those things. I'm just really surprised.

cnsheets - my 8 year old folded it forward today and tried to see if it was comfortable. His response: "Uh, no". And in a carseat -he's much too tall to fit under.

I guess I'll figure out how to work around it - you're right new_to_ford - they need to be there. I did try raising my seat - it's up all the way (I feel so short in this car and I'm 5'9" - the window"sill" is so high on the window I felt like a kid driving :)).

THANKS everyone for your responses!!
*sigh*

I have the drivers side removed since there is a car seat there, no need to have it. And the rear tether goes over the plastic so I don't leave an indent in the seat from it.

I've never noticed the passenger side one when looking for a car in the blind spot.

Edit, if you use the SAE's mirror recommendations, you won't have any blindspots anyway.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

I have the drivers side removed since there is a car seat there, no need to have it. And the rear tether goes over the plastic so I don't leave an indent in the seat from it.

I've never noticed the passenger side one when looking for a car in the blind spot.

Edit, if you use the SAE's mirror recommendations, you won't have any blindspots anyway.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

That's how I have my mirrors set and I will never go back! Thanks for the link.

PeterK9 -
I do have BLIS. I guess I'm surprised this is like this since BLIS is an *option* on the vehicle and not standard. I don't want to have to rely on things like BLIS or the backup camera - I should be able to see out the windows without those things. I'm just really surprised.

I did try raising my seat - it's up all the way (I feel so short in this car and I'm 5'9" - the window"sill" is so high on the window I felt like a kid driving :)).

I agree- they're huge. But, they compounded the problem with the high beltline of the windows... And you shouldn't have to raise your seat up all the way, IMHO, to see. The high beltlines are getting a bit ridiculous. I don't care for the lack of vision, but it is the new styling cue. Thank you, Chrysler 300.

Here's my blindspot as though I'm actually looking that way.

DSC00723.jpg

And the rear view from the rear-view mirror:

DSC00724.jpg

I think I'll just find a way to live with it. I've adjusted the mirrors a bit and that does seem to help.

Thanks for all the suggestions!! (VinceL - yes, yukster)

I think I'll just find a way to live with it. I've adjusted the mirrors a bit and that does seem to help.

The image of your rear view is of your third row headrests....not the second as you are suggesting....just flip them down when you aren't using them and you will have a full clear view of the entire rear window. I've left my third row ones up before and I agree, they are a little annoying to see when looking in your rear view mirror.

I use both my BLISS and the rear view camera all the time and have no issues with visibility while using them....it's just a matter of training yourself to use them more often....then you likely won't be as concerned with the "blind spots" as you seem to be now.

Having spent the money on the BLISS and rear camera system is really a waste if you don't currently (or ever intend to) use them. IMHO...

Here's my blindspot as though I'm actually looking that way.

DSC00723.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions!! (VinceL - yes, yukster)

There's a window there? haha I would try the SAE's mirror setup.. I'm actually going to set the mirrors in my hummer like that as soon as i get in it!

There's a window there? haha I would try the SAE's mirror setup.. I'm actually going to set the mirrors in my hummer like that as soon as i get in it!

Yeah, no one should be turning their head that much to look through that window. Very unsafe, and that is an area that can be seen easily in a side mirror. I tested it on my drive home, and a car in that area can be seen completely in the side mirror.

Adjust your mirrors properly and don't turn your head when you drive.

HughCares
The image of your rear view is of your third row headrests....not the second as you are suggesting....just flip them down when you aren't using them and you will have a full clear view of the entire rear window. I've left my third row ones up before and I agree, they are a little annoying to see when looking in your rear view mirror.

Actually - while I don't like the view I get through the rear-view window, I'm fully aware that it's the 3rd row in the mirror. I actually stated my original problem was with the blind spot and the 2nd row headrests blocking that.
It's the 2nd row, passenger headrest that is the problem.
But those 3rd row headrests aren't much better.

I use both my BLISS and the rear view camera all the time and have no issues with visibility while using them....it's just a matter of training yourself to use them more often....then you likely won't be as concerned with the "blind spots" as you seem to be now.

That's what I need to do. Re-train myself. I just don't like not having that visibility for myself. I don't want to *RELY* on the BLIS or backup camera as my only source of knowing where other cars/items are. I would like to verify with my own eyes. Call me crazy. (quiet VinceL :))

Having spent the money on the BLISS and rear camera system is really a waste if you don't currently (or ever intend to) use them. IMHO...

Never said I didn't plan to use them - just said :
I don't want to have to rely on things like BLIS or the backup camera - I should be able to see out the windows without those things.

Nitzer51 - yep - that's what I'm gonna have to do. The SAE setup. It's hard to reprogram that in myself as well but it makes perfect sense.

Harlenm - I started it a bit yesterday (will adjust as needed) but it's so weird. Feels very foreign to me - but it'll be fine. Once I see that it works :)

Sitting here quietly....lol

I am going to try to retrain my wife with the mirrors. It is strange at first, but now I can't go back. She doesn't like not being able to see her own car for a reference point, and that was the strangest part for me too.

I would rather she learn to use the mirrors properly than rely on BLIS and all that. This car is too big, and that window in the back is too small to rely on the simple swivel the head around.

It took a while to get used to the new mirror setup, but I really like it now. It is just too difficult to try to swivel my head around to check my blind spot in heavy Houston traffic...taking your eyes off what is in front of you is a dangerous proposition around here :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FordMom,

Just have your kids stick their heads out the window and get a good look and let you know if you're "OK"..... :D

Back