• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Limited - No start

Mobin Akhtar

Reaction score
City, State
Sugar Land, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
2014 Ex with 88K miles. Limited 3.5L Cyclone with keyless. 2wd. Purchased coupe weeks ago used as-is no warranty from a mom-n-pop dealer for cash - basically no warranty and no recourse. I am not a mechanic but very much hands-on guy with at least 20 years of fixing personal cars experience.

Issues prior to no-start:
either key fob will not work most times. Had to put key in backup slot to start car. Some mornings (after overnight park) remotes will start working miraculously and key-less start also possible. after couple stops will return to same state (no lock/unlock) - key in backup spot to start. Thank God, I have a code for door. Fresh batteries in both FOB's.

Symptoms:
2 days ago went out to drop lunch for daughter - car seemed shaky like gear 2-3 were being hunted. Then reached school and "Service Advance trac" warning came up. Turned ignition off, dropped lunch and could not start the vehicle on return. Tried bnch of things - sometimes at driver-door close, it would honk twice. Couldn't figure out why. Uber'd home to get second FOB, still no start with different FOB - had it towed home on flatbed to diagnose.

things I have tried so far:
1. hit starter with tire tool (not too hard)
2. Jumped with battery booster
3. got second FOB and inserted in backup slot - no joy - no "key not detected", it just does not kick the starter
4. turned car -"On", moved shifter to N. still no start. I will try today with park brake on.
5. Hooked up Autel Maxidiag 908Programmer - looked at live data - nothing in security or BCM to raise any flags. kinda stumped.
Battery originally showed 12.2V , now at 11.8 - I will run a battery tester tool today. Battery is dated 11/16.

I am leaning towards bad starter since no other indications - any ideas fellas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I would suspect a possible bad battery. Off hand I don't recall any starters being replaced in this Forum. Lots of batteries though, even new ones.

Peter

Assuming it's not a bad battery, clean your battery terminals.

A booster on a terminal with a bad connection, won't work right.

I've also had bad batteries that, even with a solid boost, still wouldn't allow the car to start. Replaced the battery and it started fine.

These things seem to eat batteries. Mine, at 66k, is on at least the 3rd battery. My last one didn't last a year. Even though I probably could've gotten that one replaced under warranty (it was the battery it had when I bought it, so it was within warranty by date, but I didn't purchase it), I went with an Interstate battery from Costco instead.

Battery checks good at 12.2V and after a stress test using Matco 9300D Tester. I noticed that my PRNDL is not lighting up in the dash. If its Not detecting what gear its in, it will not start. Starting to troubleshoot the shifter/Trans range sensor now.

Battery checks good at 12.2V and after a stress test using Matco 9300D Tester. I noticed that my PRNDL is not lighting up in the dash. If its Not detecting what gear its in, it will not start. Starting to troubleshoot the shifter/Trans range sensor now.
There is a long thread on the 'Shift to Park' issue. Shift to Park Warning But that doesn't seem to be exactly what you are getting. It only indicated that the vehicle is not in Park when the shifter position indicates it is. Does not seem to affect the PRNDL display.

Peter

Back