2014 Explorer Limited Rear Tail Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Limited Rear Tail Light

bbqking

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited. The rear passengerbreak/running lights don’t work. I took the assembly off and can replace the turn bulbs as they will come out by turning the assembly. However, there is a third light that I can’t replace. See attached picture. I’ve read where it may be the LED built into the assembly. Hopefully I don’t have to replace the entire assembly for one bulb.

4D816B8A-B52E-4D7B-8AF8-56AF8DC5924F.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If all the lights in the tail lamp assembly don't work, I would suspect lack of power to it, or a bad ground, not all the bulbs AND the LEDs failing simultaneously... unless water got in, and corroded everything so you then need new bulb socket pigtails, or to try to clean what you have of corrosion, and then decide about the LEDs.

You might also scan for ford specific fault codes, possibly the BCM detected an overcurrent condition and disabled power to it.

If it does turn out to be some rare case where you had one after another bulb fail before it was noticed and now the LED too, you "might' be able to pull that socket out by loosening (softening... what looks like) adhesive with a heat gun.

Wish I could help with the wiring but that socket doesn't look at all like what my diagram shows for a '14, though I've attached it anyway.

Attachments

• Reversing Lamps.pdf
    559.3 KB · Views: 80

^^That's the reason I asked if the replacement bulbs worked. The issue may be more involved then it appears.

Peter

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited. The rear passengerbreak/running lights don’t work. I took the assembly off and can replace the turn bulbs as they will come out by turning the assembly. However, there is a third light that I can’t replace. See attached picture. I’ve read where it may be the LED built into the assembly. Hopefully I don’t have to replace the entire assembly for one bulb.

View attachment 434405
If all the lights in the tail lamp assembly don't work, I would suspect lack of power to it, or a bad ground, not all the bulbs AND the LEDs failing simultaneously... unless water got in, and corroded everything so you then need new bulb socket pigtails, or to try to clean what you have of corrosion, and then decide about the LEDs.

You might also scan for ford specific fault codes, possibly the BCM detected an overcurrent condition and disabled power to it.

If it does turn out to be some rare case where you had one after another bulb fail before it was noticed and now the LED too, you "might' be able to pull that socket out by loosening (softening... what looks like) adhesive with a heat gun.

Wish I could help with the wiring but that socket doesn't look at all like what my diagram shows for a '14, though I've attached it anyway.
Thanks. I have worked on it since last night with no luck. Of the two bulbs I could replace, the yellow turn signal bull will work but the clear bulb will not. I checked all the fuses and none were bad. It had water in it at one time so it sounds like the socket may be corroded and why the LED lights won’t work. If it’s corrosion in the socket, is this an easy fix? I really don’t want to take it to the dealership as that would be an outrageous price.

If there is corrosion in the socket, you can try to pull the contacts out and clean them, or just get a new socket pigtail and solder + heatshrink, or sealing-crimp it on. You'd also need to find where water got in so it doesn't happen again. I don't know if it would help to drill a small hole on the bottom so that water drains out. Another option is get a replacement from a junkyard, and you could grab the socket pigtail(s) too.

Back