2014 Explorer Sport and Boat Towing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Sport and Boat Towing

Hi all.

I have a 2014.Explorer Sport. Bought it brand new with the factory installed tow package.
Doing my research to see how.big a.boat I can pull...

Can you guys give me some advice/info on these questions?

1. What is my max tow capacity? I believe it is 5000.
2. When you calculate the weight you are pulling....is it everything behind the hitch? Or do you have to add in everything in the Explorer to?
3. Is it safe to pull ALL the way up to the max tow capacity? Can the Explorer handle it?
4. Is it better to get a lighter single axle trailer or a heavier tandem axle if you are AT the max tow capacity?
5. Generic thoughts on max length boat you would tow with my Explorer if you were me?

Thanks everyone!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all.

I have a 2014.Explorer Sport. Bought it brand new with the factory installed tow package.
Doing my research to see how.big a.boat I can pull...
First of all, check out the 2014 Ford Towing Guide
Scan for anything related to your Explorer. Lots to learn. It's work taking an hour to study.

Can you guys give me some advice/info on these questions?

1. What is my max tow capacity? I believe it is 5000.
I think you are right, but see towing guide.
2. When you calculate the weight you are pulling....is it everything behind the hitch? Or do you have to add in everything in the Explorer to?
All pickups and truck-based SUVs require you to subtract any passenger/cargo weight from your MAX tow rating, except for the driver. Many crossovers and minivans allow some weight in the tow vehicle, beyond the max tow rating. But I believe Ford treats all vehicles like trucks in this regard. Again, study the guide.
3. Is it safe to pull ALL the way up to the max tow capacity? Can the Explorer handle it?
This is a matter of opinion. In my opinion, the engineers have already tested their products up to the stated limits, then added some safety margin. Unless you will be going into the Rockies, Smokeys, or other mountainous terrain, I think you can take it near the limits. The fact that you are pulling a more-aerodynamic boat (versus a brick-shaped camper) will only help you in that decision. You might scan the 5th gen section for more specific opinions.
4. Is it better to get a lighter single axle trailer or a heavier tandem axle if you are AT the max tow capacity?
Tandem axles will nearly always be more stable. Then again, a boat trailer will have the axle(s) further back where the weight is, which also makes things more stable. That's more of a question to ask at a marina.
5. Generic thoughts on max length boat you would tow with my Explorer if you were me?
Thanks everyone!!
Focus on weight, and I think you will find there isn't as much range in length at any particular weight. But that's speculation on my part. As you can see, I'm into camping, not boating.

You have plenty of motor, right? Just don't let that push you into more than the structure can handle. Keep asking around. 5th gen has been around a few years now. Should be lots of help available.

First of all, check out the 2014 Ford Towing Guide
Scan for anything related to your Explorer. Lots to learn. It's work taking an hour to study.

Quick question - I currently have my Ex Platinum ordered and am waiting delivery. I am familiar that this can tow up to 5000lbs. The question I have is when I look at the tow guide it states that it requires the WDH. My plan is to pull a Pontoon that weighs approximately 3500lbs a couple times per year. Is the WDH required for the entire weight range that the towing guide specifies for the 3.5 Ecoboost with the 5K towing capacity?

No, the WDH is not recommended until you get beyond the Class III range (3500 lbs), and/or beyond 500 lbs TW.

[CORRECTION: Class III limit is 5,000 lbs, and/or 500 lbs TW]

If the pontoon (with trailer, motor, life jackets, tackle, etc), all comes in at no more than 4000 lbs, then you shouldn't exceed 500 lbs TW either (but make sure you have at least 10%). I would not tow any more than that with a 5000 lbs rating, as you need to allow capacity in the Explorer for people and stuff. I think your combined rating is 10,000 lbs.

No, the WDH is not recommended until you get beyond the Class III range (3500 lbs), and/or beyond 500 lbs TW.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Class III range at 5000lbs. Base on what I am reading the 2016 Platinum is rated for 5K with a Class III receiver.

My only question was regarding the WDH. The towing guide states that its required and doesnt specify when its required. (at what load)

You are correct. Class III is up to 5000 lbs.
Since that is the max tow rating for the Explorer, then only time you truly will require a WDH is when the TW exceeds 500 lbs (per the Towing Guide), since the trailer can't be more than 5000 lbs with or without a WDH.

And that's what really matters. A WDH addresses the affects of excessive TW. The Explorer can handle up to 500 lbs TW without a WDH, although using a WDH would certainly help at lower weights. But Ford is saying that towing (for example), a 4800 lbs trailer, with 550 lbs of TW, would be dangerous. The reason is that this is removing too much weight from the front wheels, which adversely affects traction, steering, and stability.

Back