Boat towing question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Boat towing question

Greetings All;

I just purchased a used 2010 Sport Trac with 12,000 miles. It has a Class II hitch and I want to tow a boat/trailer with a combined weight of 3400 lbs. The towing that I will be doing most is about an hour over level roads. The cargo in the cab (including passengers) will weigh in at about 600 lbs. Is there anything I should know beforehand? Also, would it make sense to invest in a Class III...if so, how expensive is this and can it be done? BTW, the engine is a 4.0 V6 automatic.

....and yes the boat is small, Crownline 18SS bowrider with Mercruiser 4.3L and single axle Heritage trailer. Boat is 2500 lbs. trailer is about 900 lbs. Note: The dealership is attempting to help, not busting their butts, they know they mis-spoke during the negotiations.

p.

I honestly think you should be fine. Just hope you also took into account the weight of the gear and fuel in the boat when coming up with the weight of the whole rig.

Also, since you said the trailer has surge brakes it should have the 5pin connector and not the 4 pin. Can you confirm that?

I see no problem towing an 18' boat with your sport trac. I've sold boats in the past and plenty of people pull them 18' boats with Explorers, blazers, xterras, four runners etc. IF the extra hitch is what will bump your tow rating, then it's up to you to decide if you need it, but if your current class 2 hitch is rated for the weight of your boat then you are good to go in my opinion.

Back