2014 Ford Explorer Brake Pad "Springs" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Ford Explorer Brake Pad "Springs"

sj75760607

Reaction score
City, State
Carmel
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014, Explorer Limited
I'm installing new rotors and pads in my 2014 Ford Explorer Limited. I got the rotors and pads from the dealer. Everything is going okay, but when I went to install the new pads in the front, I noticed they have arms/spring on the outside "ears" that basically flex and push them away from the rotor. I haven't put the caliper back on yet because I wanted to make sure I'm doing this right. The old pads I took out did not have these - or any springs - that I saw. They were just plain old pads.

Here is what the new pads look like:

IMG_0842.jpeg

You can see the metal arms/springs on each side. It seems like the purpose to hold or push the pad away from the rotor. Is that right? Here is me holding the outerr pad in the clips on the front, passenger side rotor. If I don't hold it then it wants to pop or push out.

IMG_0843.jpeg

Question: Do I have this pushed in correctly? Do the springs/arms just sit on the caliper mount like this with the function of continually pushing the pads away from the rotor? These are Motorcraft Front Brake Pads - BR1611B.

This is the first time I've done this myself so thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would take them back to the dealership and verify they are correct.

FYI, you can save some cash by staying away from the dealership.
RockAuto, or the large chains have many options.

Looking at my brakes today, noticed the pads do have the spring clips like yours.

I believe those are correct.
Just doing a quick search on RockAuto, there are quite a few that have those springs.
Yes, they are to just hold the pad away from the rotor to keep them from dragging (quieter and less wear).

Some of the kits I saw had a small spring that gets installed between the pads to serve same function.

Any pictures of the old pads?

Once you drop the caliper back into position, it will hold the pads in place (so you don't need to).

My brakes were warped and just installed OEM rotors and pads last weekend. So much better.

I'm installing new rotors and pads in my 2014 Ford Explorer Limited. I got the rotors and pads from the dealer. Everything is going okay, but when I went to install the new pads in the front, I noticed they have arms/spring on the outside "ears" that basically flex and push them away from the rotor. I haven't put the caliper back on yet because I wanted to make sure I'm doing this right. The old pads I took out did not have these - or any springs - that I saw. They were just plain old pads.

Here is what the new pads look like:

View attachment 438967

You can see the metal arms/springs on each side. It seems like the purpose to hold or push the pad away from the rotor. Is that right? Here is me holding the outerr pad in the clips on the front, passenger side rotor. If I don't hold it then it wants to pop or push out.

View attachment 438968

Question: Do I have this pushed in correctly? Do the springs/arms just sit on the caliper mount like this with the function of continually pushing the pads away from the rotor? These are Motorcraft Front Brake Pads - BR1611B.

This is the first time I've done this myself so thanks for any help!
Thank you for posting this part number and picture, great help. I ordered part BR1508 A, (Front with standard duty calipers, includes spring clip), from O'Reily Auto for front brakes. This set has the V shaped spring that fits into the holes on the pads to keep them separated. This set was listed as fitting my Explorer.
When I looked at my OEM brake pads, they looked like the picture that you provided.
O'Reily Auto shows this BR1611 B as Front, with heavy duty calipers and standard duty pads. I swapped these two sets.
I did not consider buying these parts BR1611 B originally because it was usually mentioned that the ST Explorer model had the "heavy duty brakes".
Update: O'Reilly did not have the BR 1611B brake pads, but they had the ceramic front brake pads, BRF 1475, with the same style of clips, so I ordered a set and installed them. All is working fine.

My brakes were warped and just installed OEM rotors and pads last weekend. So much better.
Welcome to the Forum Jack. :wave:
Was this on your F-150? Just curious as this is 5th gen Explorer forum.

Peter

Back