2014 PIU Front turn signal sockets | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 PIU Front turn signal sockets

pepod09

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
Hi all,
I've done some searching and couldn't find a super conclusive answer. I recently purchased a 2014 PIU and it appears the front turn signals have been completely removed without a socket. I've seen that this is because it is a proprietary Whelen bulb that costs hundreds of dollars. Could anyone help me to find a part number or something for a socket that would take a regular bulb to fit in the place?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure what the reply above is about but,

There is no OEM part number to switch. The only method is below.

"clperry1 wrote:

To get away from the factory LED park/turn/wig wag:
pigtail part # DB5Z-13A006-A

3157 SOCKET PART # 8A8Z-13411-A

those are ford part numbers so you can get them at the dealer. i was told it couldn't be done and i did it and all the light on my car work as they should.

hope this helps"

I've made these and seen them replaced prior to auction like the below. the harnesses do work very well to convert from factory whelen to normal bulb. The part prices are biden now so its expesive and you need to make them. prior it was $26-33 per harness plus time.

** direct plug, no cutting or rewiring needed. **

img_4878.jpg

Compared to the pricing on Fordparts, you would save $20.55 on both buying from Levittown but that doesn't include shipping. In that case it may be a better deal getting it from the dealer.

Peter

So I managed to come up with a homebrew solution to this as well, which cost me nothing since I had all the parts kicking around. I have a 14 piu and the driver for my left front whelen blinker died. After some thinking it seemed that the pattern and size of the 'ears' on the bulb for the housing socket looked close to the taillight bulb socket on a wrecked 14 gmc Sierra I had out back. Sure enough it fit. If you can get the harness out of the taillight housing, one of the bulb socket plugs has 6 wires coming out of it, 4 black and 2 yellow, to correspond to the tail and blink filaments. If you cut those out you can splice them into the factory park/turn plug on the PIU housing using the pigtail coming off the led driver. I can take some pictures later to explain it better, but the whole process took 30 minutes and required no modification of the headlight housing or the bulb socket, it just slipped right in. Cost me 4 dollars total for a pair of 3157 bulbs in amber

Welcome to the Forum Kyle. :wave:
In regards to the statement "and required to modification of the headlight housing or the bulb socket," Did you mean to say required NO modification....?

Peter

Sorry yes autocorrect strikes again. This requires NO MODIFICATION of anything on the explorer at all

Not sure what the reply above is about but,

There is no OEM part number to switch. The only method is below.

"clperry1 wrote:

To get away from the factory LED park/turn/wig wag:
pigtail part # DB5Z-13A006-A

3157 SOCKET PART # 8A8Z-13411-A

those are ford part numbers so you can get them at the dealer. i was told it couldn't be done and i did it and all the light on my car work as they should.

hope this helps"

I've made these and seen them replaced prior to auction like the below. the harnesses do work very well to convert from factory whelen to normal bulb. The part prices are biden now so its expesive and you need to make them. prior it was $26-33 per harness plus time.

** direct plug, no cutting or rewiring needed. **

View attachment 426695
Howdy! I would sure like to order one of these for my 17' Utility front left.

Back