2015 Explorer will not start after being rear ended | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer will not start after being rear ended

SLT617

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer
Hey everyone,

I have a new ford explorer and got rear ended a few days ago. When that happened, the monitor said "Key not present" like it couldn't recognize the key FOB anymore... the car was still running though so we just drove it home.

Now that we've got it home, it won't start. I go to turn it on and I get a white blank screen and it isn't responsive. I read online that it could be the inertia switch and that it would be on the side cover of the passenger's side. I checked mine and couldn't find it. Does anyone know where I can locate the inertia switch?

I also charged the battery to see if that would make a difference - nothing. I then pulled off the negative battery cable and put it on after waiting 10 minutes. The screen said sync was resetting but after that I just get lights when i get in the car but no illumination in the instrument cluster and the screen is black.

Do I need to take the car to a dealer in order to get it to start working or is there something I can do to get it to start?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First of all, welcome to the Forum SLT617.:wavey:
I haven't heard of an "inertia switch" regarding the Explorer. The Explorer does have a Fuel Shutoff which could be activated by a rear end collision but if that is the problem I don't think you could drive very far if at all. It is explained on page 288 of the 2015 Manual (2nd printing). It also mentions how to reset it. That shouldn't account for the white blank screen. One thing you could try is disconnect the negative battery cable for 10 minutes or so before reconnecting to see if everything will reset. Good luck.
BTW, the word "inertia" doesn't appear anywhere in the Manual.

Peter

The inertia switch or Fuel shutoff switch is usually near the passenger side kick panel just forward of the passenger door on Ford trucks. In the trunk of Ford cars. However, you were able to drive the vehicle home? When the switch activates the vehicle is dead stopped until reset.

The inertia switch or Fuel shutoff switch is usually near the passenger side kick panel just forward of the passenger door on Ford trucks. In the trunk of Ford cars. However, you were able to drive the vehicle home? When the switch activates the vehicle is dead stopped until reset.
The Explorer Fuel Shutoff doesn't require a 'physical' reset. It is done using a procedure outlined in the Manual.

Peter

If a fuel pump cut off had been activated, you wouldn't have been able to drive home. This is an issue with the car not being able to locate the key at a minimum. I bet a wire or 2 got broken/knocked loose.
Since you got rear ended then you're not at fault. Get the other persons insurance to drop off a rental car and bring a tow truck to pick up the explorer.
Good luck and glad you're ok.

Yeah, even if it was the fuel shutoff switch it wouldn't matter anyway because we wouldn't have been able to drive home. I took the negative battery cable off for another 15 minutes and the instrument cluster isn't illuminating and the screen is still black.

I'll just have someone go tow it to the mechanic. Insurance is supposed to pay but it's been almost a week and they still aren't doing anything. I'm about ready to do a "one call that's all" if insurance doesn't get their butt in gear. Supposedly the other party at fault has been slow to do their part.

Hey everyone,

I have a new ford explorer and got rear ended a few days ago. When that happened, the monitor said "Key not present" like it couldn't recognize the key FOB anymore... the car was still running though so we just drove it home.

Now that we've got it home, it won't start. I go to turn it on and I get a white blank screen and it isn't responsive. I read online that it could be the inertia switch and that it would be on the side cover of the passenger's side. I checked mine and couldn't find it. Does anyone know where I can locate the inertia switch?

I also charged the battery to see if that would make a difference - nothing. I then pulled off the negative battery cable and put it on after waiting 10 minutes. The screen said sync was resetting but after that I just get lights when i get in the car but no illumination in the instrument cluster and the screen is black.

Do I need to take the car to a dealer in order to get it to start working or is there something I can do to get it to start?

Sounds like you have push button start. If so maybe one of the antennas has been damaged or wiring cut to it. There are multiple antennas that triangulate the location of the key to make sure the key is in the vehicle.

You need to act as if the key fob battery has died as it cannot locate your key.

Page 208 of manual "starting and stopping engine"

If you are unable to start your vehicle, do the following:
1. Locate the key backup slot in center console utility compartment.
2. With the buttons facing the rear of the vehicle and the key ring up, place the key into backup slot.
3. With the key in this position, press the brake pedal, then the button to switch the ignition on and start your vehicle.

Try turning on the radio. You can turn it on at anytime, keyfob or no keyfob. You don't even have to have the ignition in the run or accessory mode.
Initially you said you had a blank white screen and later a blank black screen.
Which do you have? I would think a white screen would indicate a power up.
Does everything else work? Interior, exterior lights, liftgate.

Peter

When the switch activates the vehicle is dead stopped until reset.

That's not necessarily true. Some procedure on my ZX2 required me to activate the inertial cutoff with the engine running to starve the engine out, and it took a good 30 min. at ~1000 rpm. I could easily see driving another 10 minutes in the city on this.

uhm - It might be a computer fail safe. I have heard of some cars shutting out completely due to Air bag activation. IE if the system sensed enough shock (G Load) the interlink between the airbag module and the ECU would shut the car down.

It can only be re-estabilshed with a OEM computer tool and a code.

It's feasible, I don't know, that your car is in this situation. The shock might not have set the airbag off (wrong direction etc) but it might be over the threshold.

On a merc if the car is still running when tripped the car will keep running until shut off. WHich is exactly what you describe.

When you get in the car - and you key it - does the airbag or other warning light come on and stay on?

Regardless - I would take it to a dealer or whatever shop you intend to take it to to get fixed and I would make certain your insurance company knows about this accident related issue.

Back