1999 Explorer will not start after changing fuel filter and spark plug and wires... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer will not start after changing fuel filter and spark plug and wires...

3rdshoe

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 xlt
Hello all first time post...I'm pretty much at the end of what I know. I was having problems with my '99 ford explorer. It would start and as long as I had the gas pedal down it would run fine. AS soon as I let off the gas it would stall. It didn't do it all the time. A friend of mine who had an explorer had the same problem and told me that he fixed it by changing his fuel filter. Ok, I changed my fuel filter and since I had never changed my spark plugs or wires I decided to do it all. Will I did that and now my explorer will not start. It will turn over but not start. Please help. Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Retrace your steps, make sure you didn't mess up the firing order, and that all the connections are secure. Make sure didn't knock any wires off or anything like that when doing the tune-up.
Check that the fuel reset button isn't popped.
Make sure your fuel pump is actually working.

As karl said. Check your fuel inertia switch. Its designed to cut off fuel flow if the vehicle is to flip over. There is a vid of its location in the link in my signature.

Did you take the fuel relay out and forget to put it back in?

Can you hear the fuel pump whine when you flip the key to the on position?

Did you put the fuel filter in the right way? If you have it in backwards it can cause problems. The arrow on the filter should point toward the engine.
And do as they said and check your firing order, etc, etc

Posible uper intake gaskets?

I checked my wires and my fuel filter the plugs are in right, ie i heard a snap when re-attaching the plug wires. when priming the i hear a high pitch whine. this is new. any ideas?

Small fuel leak?

Make sure you didn't knock any vacuum lines off when you did the plugs. Have you tried starting it on ether/starting fluid to see if you problem is fuel related?

This may be silly but check to make sure you actually have gas in it. And prime the pump several (4-5 or more) times before cranking the engine. Since the pressure was released when you changed the fuel filter it could take a while to build back up enough to start the vehicle.

x2. There is air in there and the pump only runs for a few seconds with key on before run.

Check for ignition

I agree with marragtop. Disconnect the intake tube downstream from the MAFS, spray some starting fluid into the tube toward the throttle body, reconnect the intake tube and crank the engine. It it starts and runs for a second or two then you know you have spark but no fuel. It's a quick way to find out a lot of information.

Double check the fuel cut off braker (Uper pasenger side floor gadget)

HELP firing order mistake

sorry posed in wrong place

Hello all first time post...I'm pretty much at the end of what I know. I was having problems with my '99 ford explorer. It would start and as long as I had the gas pedal down it would run fine. AS soon as I let off the gas it would stall. It didn't do it all the time. A friend of mine who had an explorer had the same problem and told me that he fixed it by changing his fuel filter. Ok, I changed my fuel filter and since I had never changed my spark plugs or wires I decided to do it all. Will I did that and now my explorer will not start. It will turn over but not start. Please help. Thank you in advance.

Prime the pump multiple times...

When I did my fuel filter, i was cranking it for 30 seconds before it finally ran. Do NOT run it for 30 seconds straight, run the starter in 5-10 second intervals or you'll fry it.

Make sure the fuel filter is installed properly too

Got it started. Thanks everybody for the posts but now it's got this studder...just one problem after another

Back