• Register Today It's free!

2015 Sport fuel tank smaller?

youngkingkrue

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015, Explorer Sport
My 2013 Sport had a 299 until empty when I topped it off and sometimes using the Shell V-power it gave me 327 until empty when filled to the max. Now, my 2015 sport is only giving me 268 until empty. Is there any reason behind this. Thanks again for listening.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

reduced fuel efficiency more than likely. you may be driving more aggressively or the engine isn't broken in yet. you should be calculating your mpg by hand instead of relying on that computer for a true calculation. I believe all new explorers have an 18.6 gallon tank.

reduced fuel efficiency more than likely. you may be driving more aggressively or the engine isn't broken in yet. you should be calculating your mpg by hand instead of relying on that computer for a true calculation. I believe all new explorers have an 18.6 gallon tank.

That, or he ran over something smashing his tank and reducing the capacity! :D

The computer calculates that (average) figure by using the mileage you drove on your last tankful of gas. It knows that you drove a specific distance on your last full tank of gas. This will always vary. Mine did for the last thee years on my '13 XLT.

I appreciate all the legitimate responses, thanks, it only has to this date 500 miles on it so I will wait a couple of months and see if it increases.

Depending on where and how I've driven when I fill up I might get anywhere from 260 miles to empty to 410 miles. That readout is not an accurate indicator of your MPG. It's not even something I pay attention to because it will vary as you drive.

because it will vary as you drive.

Yeah, mine's the same way. The farther I drive on a tank of gas the lower the number it shows. FORD YOU REALLY SCREWED THIS ONE UP!

:D

Depending on where and how I've driven when I fill up I might get anywhere from 260 miles to empty to 410 miles. That readout is not an accurate indicator of your MPG. It's not even something I pay attention to because it will vary as you drive.
The reason it varies is because it is tied to your MPG reading. If you end up in stop and go traffic, your MPG is going to read lower and that will show in your Miles To Empty (MTE) reading as fewer miles available. When you fill up, the MTE is based on the previous information as you alluded to in your opening sentence. While it may not be 100% accurate, I find it fairly reliable.

Peter

Back