"charging system service now" alarm, coming up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"charging system service now" alarm, coming up

adam500

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Hello,

I have a 2015 Sport and just started getting some charging system warnings. When starting the truck it takes a long time and pauses. When turning off the car it notifies you on both the dash and entertainment system that there are charging system / battery issues.

I took my multi meter and checked the battery when off. It was 10.18v. Turned the car on and it was ~14.2v. So I assume the charging system is working fine. I replaced the battery.

Now the car starts normal but I am still getting the warnings when turning off the car. Do I just need to clear some codes someplace?

Thanks,
Adam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should pull for codes, there are a few scenarios that would trigger a charging system fault--not simply a dead alternator, but an alternator that isn't responding to a demand command, etc.

Thanks. I did go by discount auto but they were not able to pull the codes. Tried to run a diagnostic scan via Ford sync and that failed to collect data error. Hate to take it to the dealer as it is 2 months out of warranty but that might be my only option.

Hello,

I have a 2015 Sport and just started getting some charging system warnings. When starting the truck it takes a long time and pauses. When turning off the car it notifies you on both the dash and entertainment system that there are charging system / battery issues.

I took my multi meter and checked the battery when off. It was 10.18v. Turned the car on and it was ~14.2v. So I assume the charging system is working fine. I replaced the battery.

Now the car starts normal but I am still getting the warnings when turning off the car. Do I just need to clear some codes someplace?

Thanks,
Adam
Adam, did you do a BMS (Battery Management System) reset?
See http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...upgrade-battery-re-learn.445823/#post-3538418
Here is a quote from that post. "If the vehicle battery is replaced, it is very important to perform the BMS Reset using a diagnostic scan tool. If the BMS Reset is not carried out, it holds the old battery parameters and time in service counter in memory. Additionally it tells the system the battery is in an aged state and may limit the Electrical Energy Management system functions."

Peter

Use IDS, FORScan, or some other high end scan tool like a VERUS or similar. A basic OBD-II reader probably isn't going to pull the information you need.

A lack of a BMS reset probably isn't the case here--the system will auto-recalibrate after 8 hours of the vehicle being off/undisturbed. Although the aged parameters don't reset, it is unlikely to cause spurious codes.

Do I need to go to the dealer for this? Suggested places that have the required tooling would be appreciated.

They'd have IDS, but any other larger shop or well-equipped independent mechanic should have a high end enough scan tool to hit the modules.

Hi, ALL:
Alarm " charging system service now" , brought to ford dealership, diagnosed " bad alternator", total payed close to $1400, get the new alternator, wire harness to alternator, new powertrain control module, but the same problem still came up!!! any suggestions? thanks!

Take it back and make them fix the real problem. They’ll probably tell you the bad alternator ruined the batter.

In the future, take it somewhere else.

People make the mistake of thinking because a mechanic works at a dealer they are a quality mechanic. Typically not the case.

there are dealership workshop, can not figure how they could not fix it
already back for 3 times
People make the mistake of thinking because a mechanic works at a dealer they are a quality mechanic. Typically not the case.
if they really could not fix the problem, what can I do? can I request the refund?

Welcome to the Forum Safesea. :wave:
I'm guessing they did but do you know if they used an OEM alternator? Several members have had issues with non Motorcraft alternators.
I doubt that you would be able to get a refund for the work they did. If you took it to another shop and they diagnosed that the new alternator was faulty, then perhaps you might have a case.

Peter

I paid $659 for a new alternator and assume they order the same as the old one.

Never assume with shop work.

That’s not typical. Usually it has a by the item break down. What is a dealer workshop? Is it a regular dealer garage? Do they sell new cars at this location?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That’s not typical. Usually it has a by the item break down. What is a dealer workshop? Is it a regular dealer garage? Do they sell new cars at this location?
it's ford dealership service. they sale the new car. We bought this car there.

Back