• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer. Code P1016.

SuddenTrouble

Reaction score
City, State
Epping, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer 2.3
Hi there, new to the forum and havent really searched around a whole lot.. figured id come right out and ask maybe you guys can point me in the right direction...
p1016 wastegate pressure higher than expected also has the shudder at certain speeds under accel- i replaced the MAP sensor and control solenoid and all seemed well for a little bit but now the codes back on and still shuddering, im going to check the actuator arm and see if theres any oil on top of the turbo. going to do a trans drain and fill and filter also. any ideas on what i should be looking into next?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there, new to the forum and havent really searched around a whole lot.. figured id come right out and ask maybe you guys can point me in the right direction...
p1016 wastegate pressure higher than expected also has the shudder at certain speeds under accel- i replaced the MAP sensor and control solenoid and all seemed well for a little bit but now the codes back on and still shuddering, im going to check the actuator arm and see if theres any oil on top of the turbo. going to do a trans drain and fill and filter also. any ideas on what i should be looking into next?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I did a quick search of the 5th gen forum on that code and your post was the only one that came up. Doing an Internet search O found this;

Peter

F150 Ecobost, see post 9-12. Possible hose leak? Haven't found anything on P1016, so I thought I'd cover it as i go through it - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Post 6, another vacuum line leak, same lines replaced

Hello,
New on the forum whereas I found valuable information so far, thanks a lot!

@SuddenTrouble, Did you manage to solve the issue please?

I have the same issue and I’m advised to change the wastegate vacuum solenoid.
Where is this located on the Explorer ecoboost 2.3 please? How much does the part cost approximately please?

Thank you!

Hello,
New on the forum whereas I found valuable information so far, thanks a lot!

@SuddenTrouble, Did you manage to solve the issue please?

I have the same issue and I’m advised to change the wastegate vacuum solenoid.
Where is this located on the Explorer ecoboost 2.3 please? How much does the part cost approximately please?

Thank you!
I don't know if the member you quoted is still around. That was his first and only post made on Sept. 15th.

Peter

I don't know if the member you quoted is still around. That was his first and only post made on Sept. 15th.

Peter
Thank you for letting me know.

I had more information on the diagnosis after my post. There is pressure till the turbocharger wastegate vacuum solenoid but not between the solenoid and the turbo.
On the Ecoboost 2.3L, the part is coming with all lines and valves… so the price is crazy high. I hope this is the faulty part.
I’ll let you know the result once replaced.

So finally, the vacuum pump was leaking a bit into the lines till the wastegate vacuum solenoid. Maybe just replacing the pump and cleaning the lines and solenoid would have solved the issue but both were replaced … for a total of $1500+ … and the car runs as normal now.

Back