2016 Explorer cranks but will not start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer cranks but will not start

ptkrause

Reaction score
City, State
Fredonia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
we have a 2016 ford explorer that cranks but will not start every morning. Here is the odd part. I can 'fix' this by removing the fuel pump fuse (#63), starting the vehicle (it will only run for a few seconds), and reinstalling the fuel pump fuse. The vehicle is good for the entire day after that and will start without issue. The next morning, the sequence starts all over again. This has been going on for a week.

The battery is clearly fine. The fuel is 3/4 tank and was just filled. You can hear the fuel pump initiation cycle prior to starting. I don't suspect any of those. Any ideas? Clearly what I have stumbled on is not a long term solution. What would removing the fuse fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Another baffling issue! I have no idea what removing the fuse does before starting the vehicle that would affect the non-start with it in place. I doubt the pump is on a 'keep alive' circuit. Whatever the reason, it appears it only occurs after a prolonged period of inactivity. What would be the longest it would sit that way during the day after being started in the morning?

Peter

You can check your fuel psi using forscan / torque app. With the key on engine off at cold the rail psi should be over 200

Replace the fuel pump driver module. It's a hassle to test it vs pretty cheap to buy. 9 out of 10 newer Ford crank but no starts are this module.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Another baffling issue! I have no idea what removing the fuse does before starting the vehicle that would affect the non-start with it in place. I doubt the pump is on a 'keep alive' circuit. Whatever the reason, it appears it only occurs after a prolonged period of inactivity. What would be the longest it would sit that way during the day after being started in the morning?

Peter
If the car sits for 8 hours or longer, this goofy fuse pulling routine is required. If the engine is at all warm, the car starts fine.

By the way, just an update, I put new fuel in yesterday and the car started fine this morning. Is it possible that this is related to a batch of bad fuel? I am keeping my fingers crossed that the problem is resolved but am skeptical.

With it running fine after you did get it started, I doubt it's the fuel.

I'd wonder more about seasonal temperature changes, causing some connector or wire contraction (wire insulation abraded away, connector not fully plugged in, or corrosion, etc) or maybe the fuel pump driver module itself has a fault affected by this. If it came down to contemplating replacing that module, I'd see if it can be popped open and inspected.

we have a 2016 ford explorer that cranks but will not start every morning. Here is the odd part. I can 'fix' this by removing the fuel pump fuse (#63), starting the vehicle (it will only run for a few seconds), and reinstalling the fuel pump fuse. The vehicle is good for the entire day after that and will start without issue. The next morning, the sequence starts all over again. This has been going on for a week.

The battery is clearly fine. The fuel is 3/4 tank and was just filled. You can hear the fuel pump initiation cycle prior to starting. I don't suspect any of those. Any ideas? Clearly what I have stumbled on is not a long term solution. What would removing the fuse fix?
Just another update - this does appear to be fuel related. I filled the tank last Friday and the vehicle has started flawlessly several times since then. I agree that the symptoms don't fully support this being a fuel issue so I am skeptical. However, it appears to be fixed for now with a fresh tank of gas. Fingers crossed ....

I just had the same issue I noticed the last week it’s taking a little bit longer to start. Yesterday morning I went out and it would not start and I tried everything. After reading this thread I pulled the fuse as you said put it back in and it started right up. But I also replaced the module today. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that this takes care of it it started in a half a dozen times and it starts right up actually better than house for a while. I’m going to try and later today and then tomorrow after I’m up and around I’ll go try to start it again if it starts right up I know it’s the module. I also have a 2016 Explorer XLT. It only has 60,000 miles on it so I was sort of surprised when this happened. So thanks for the idea it definitely worked. I just hope between that and replacing the module it’s OK now

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I hope that cured the problem.

Peter

Unfortunately I went to start it this morning in the same thing happened. I pulled number 63 fuse out tried to start it put it back in and it started right up. Has anybody figured out what causes this yet. I’ll probably have to take it to the dealer but I hate to pay that kind of price if someone here has figured it out. I did replace the module and thought I would replace the fuel pump but I can’t find out where it’s located or how I can replace it any help would be appreciated

^ The pump is on a sending unit that drops into the top of the gas tank.

There are diagrams and removal procedure in the 2014 Workshop Manual linked in my sig, don't know if anything changed between '14 and '16 but it could be a big help.

I have discovered the link to the pump can be interfered with by the starter solenoid. It's cheap, try and change it.

I have discovered the link to the pump can be interfered with by the starter solenoid. It's cheap, try and change it.
?? I don't understand. You mean the wiring is routed bad, or the solenoid somehow goes bad in a way that keeps the pump from working?

Replace the fuel pump driver module. It's a hassle to test it vs pretty cheap to buy. 9 out of 10 newer Ford crank but no starts are this module.
Where is it located?

^ Behind the right hand C-pillar trim panel on a '14... if it hasn't changed. Double check this but I think the part # for it is 9D370

n0123723_580.jpg

Did you ever figure out the cause or the permanent fix?
I have a 2017 that I have replaced the driver module and the fuel pump. Also paid for $600 of wiring repairs. But it is still doing the same thing.

Did you ever figure out the cause or the permanent fix?
I have a 2017 that I have replaced the driver module and the fuel pump. Also paid for $600 of wiring repairs. But it is still doing the same thing.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on Oct. 21, 2022 so..likely isn't following any longer.

Peter

Back