2016 Explorer Transmission troubles | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Transmission troubles

Did you buy an ESP? If so, you get a rental on the 2nd day covered by the esp. If not, no rental is covered to you unless the dealer or Ford is going to eat the cost (that isn't to say it isn't the right thing to do). Just putting that out there since you said "no rental till they find out what is wrong".

Don't know the backlog at your dealer but typically 2-3 days is normal before they can get to a vehicle that wasn't scheduled for service.

Tear down should take less then a day once they begin. Then it is a matter of parts being ordered.

I have the Premium Care ESP. I was told I couldn't get a rental until they had diagnosed the transmission and knew what parts were needed and how long it would take. I knew that it would take some time to work the vehicle in. They said they would start on it Tuesday afternoon. I figured that really meant Wednesday. Now were going on at least 2 1/2 days for the tear down. Wednesday I was told it was hot and humid and things go slower, again I really do understand and have been nothing but nice to them. It just seems wrong that I'm left stranded while they decide what's wrong. They know it's the transmission and it can't be driven. In my mind that should be enough to warrant a rental. I see that ZRacer pushed the issue and got a rental. I guess I just took them at their word.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with the low mileage, you should push HARD on them for a rental.

I think it is safe to say that the rental is going to ended up getting paid for so you can probably go ahead and get one. Just find out what rental car conpany they use (hopefull Enterprise) or if they have their own loaners. You will need to leave a credit card to get the rental, but Ford will eventually issue a PO to the rental car company so that you are not charged. Make sure you let the rental car company know that Ford is going to ended up paying for the rental so that you get a vehicle within the price range Ford pays for. They will also need to give you a Ford product since it will be a warranty claim.

I have the Premium Care ESP. I was told I couldn't get a rental until they had diagnosed the transmission and knew what parts were needed and how long it would take. I knew that it would take some time to work the vehicle in. They said they would start on it Tuesday afternoon. I figured that really meant Wednesday. Now were going on at least 2 1/2 days for the tear down. Wednesday I was told it was hot and humid and things go slower, again I really do understand and have been nothing but nice to them. It just seems wrong that I'm left stranded while they decide what's wrong. They know it's the transmission and it can't be driven. In my mind that should be enough to warrant a rental. I see that ZRacer pushed the issue and got a rental. I guess I just took them at their word.

You get a rental the next day after dropping off.. they do not have to "diagnose" anything. If you have 1st day rental then you get a rental at the time of drop off.

I always drop off and am put in an Enterprise rental within 30 minutes and off I go. I did pay the extra for 1st day rental. Your dealer needs to get their act together. Rental coverage has nothing to do with the dealer, it is all contract and paid for by the ESP.

Talk to the service manager or GM of the dealership.

Well I'll update on the little I know. Friday at 4:30 I called and was told that it was the main drum that had to be replaced. I had 1st gear and 4th gear. That was all the info that I got out of them. For some reason the person that I must deal with has decided that I don't really deserve her time. I think because I told her she was wrong about the rental. She did give me permission to rent a car and she should have the PO number Monday. I am calling Ford Extended Service number Monday to have a chat with them about what is going on. I have only called once a day before closing to find out if there was any news on my vehicle. On Friday's phone call she told me that I would rent through Enterprise and Ford would pay $30 a day and I would be responsible for tax and insurance. She went on to say that some auto insurance covers rentals. I told her I knew ours did cover rentals since I checked the last time my husband rented a vehicle. Then she said the strangest thing. She said, well I figured as much since you seem to have to have the best of everything. I was really taken back by that. I guess I shouldn't own a Platinum Explorer. I guess I might get better service if I owned a XLT. Really look forward to my conversation Monday when I call to find out about how long the parts will take etc. Just been more fun then I could have wished for.

Wow.. I can't believe that someone would have the nerve to say something like that. I personally would go straight to the service manager and only deal with them. I'd also open a case with Ford as they will contact the Service Manager and work directly with them.

Do not take out insurance through Enterprise.. Enterprise prices out their vehicles for Ford to get them under $30 a day so there should be no expense to you. It comes out to $29.25 per day the way they discount them through Ford pricing in my state but should be under $30 or at $30 for you.

Call Enterprise, they will pick you up and bring you to their dealership to get a rental. How it has always worked with 1st day rental option is you bring your vehicle in, service advisor calls Enterprise and they come down to the dealership. Once the service advisor gets off the phone with Enterprise, he then calls over to whatever dept he talks to within the dealership to get a PO number assigned and writes it on the pink slip you need to give to Enterprise.

Sometimes Enterprise will bring a rental straight to the dealership (if they have a return to bring back) or sometimes they will bring you to their store.

But this has how a proper dealership runs everything and this is how it has been for since for 9 years of buying ESPs with 1st day rental.

This is seriously upsetting. Our 02 was acting up and I new the trans was a time bomb, so we upgraded to the 16 Sport to have something reliable. Are you telling me my 16's trans is a time bomb too?!

This is seriously upsetting. Our 02 was acting up and I new the trans was a time bomb, so we upgraded to the 16 Sport to have something reliable. Are you telling me my 16's trans is a time bomb too?!

No it's not, small % of EX's have had transmission issues. Not to worry.

Less then one hands worth have reported trans failures on here.. it is a non issue overall.

You also have to figure that the ones that usually come to a forum like this is to figure out a problem that they are having with their vehicle, be it a transmission, engine, body, windows, or whatever. So how many out there have no problems at all with their vehicle for the life of it?

Well I am into a rental, Explorer and my transmission is being rebuilt. Apparently this is a problem and Ford has issued a TSB according to my service department TSB 45713 (if I copied number down right). It was just issued at the beginning of this month. I will try to get a copy when I pick up my vehicle. It involves vehicles built between Nov 2, 2015 and Feb 2016. Mine was built Nov 9th. Lucky me. She was reading the bulletin so fast and it was so noisy it was hard to hear it all. Something about incorrectly machined, something about the snap ring and piston. Again sorry I couldn't get it all. Apparently the TSB list 5 error codes to look for, mine had 3 showing. Anyway the TSB lists all the parts which have to be replaced. They did receive all the parts in 2 days. It looks like it should be ready Monday or Tuesday if all goes well. After a call to Ford customer service and now my local service person is just the "sweetest" person ever and my rental was done immediately. My vehicle is the first they have seen with this problem. When I pick it up I'll have more info and hopefully the TSB to post here.

Damn, I think mine falls within those dates. We picked ours up Dec 11th, 2 days after it got to the lot.

Just beginning to wonder if this is going to be another 2016 issue in addition to the fan and throttle body problems?

Peter

Hopefully the 2017 Explorers are not plagued with chronic issues. My 2015 runs great (fingers crossed) without issues. I was hoping to get a 2017..... will wait until the end of the "build" to see how they turn out.

For what it's worth: http://www.carcomplaints.com/recent_trends/

A couple of months ago my 2016 explorer 4wd base model went into the dealership for a throttle body replacement at 5000+ miles. After having the vehicle for a month because the throttle body was backordered, I finally got my explorer back, after having it for a month and a half and another 5000 miles later, my explorer is back at the dealership. This time for transmission problems, yesterday morning it back up fine out of my driveway, there after it wouldn't shift gears, after parking it and trying to load it on the tow truck, there was no reverse. Anyone else have any transmission problems with tranny at 10,00 miles on the vehicle? My next question is does the lemon law apply to my vehicle? I await some help with your responses. Keep my hopes up that I have made a good choice with the explorer.
Hi Manny,

My explorer went to the dealership on 6/13/2016 and I finally got it back 7/14/2016. They told me that my entire transmission went out. It took them over a month to get parts & get it fixed. I was beyond frustrated. They told me after I got it back that it will continue to shift hard for the next 200 miles, I have drove it over 500 miles and it still shifts hard. I took it back to the dealership on 7/21/2016 only to be told that it drives 10x's better than it originally did after the transmission was rebuilt. But I need to drive it more in the higher gears. I really hope this thing works itself out. Good luck!

Got my Explorer back Friday. Towed 7/11/16 picked up 7/29/16. First let me say the transmission works just as it did when it was new. I was a little worried after reading Jmcdorman post about hard shifting. Mine shifts great just like new. There isn't a TBS on this it is a SSM (Special Service Message).

SSM- 45713 - 2015-2016 Vehicles Equipped with 6F50/6F55 Transmission - No reverse/3rd/5th Gear - Various DTCs - Built On 11/02/2015 And Through 02/01/2016
Some 2015-2016 vehicles equipped with 6F50/6F55 transmission and built between 11/02/16 and 12/01/16 may exhibit no reverse, 3rd and 5th gear along with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0715, P0717,P0756 and P2701. This condition may be caused by incorrect machining of the direct clutch cylinder/ tone wheel (7F283) resulting in the snap ring out of position. If the direct clutch hub (7G384) is found to be damaged also replace the following: direct clutch return spring 7F235, direct clutch cylinder/tone ring 7F283, direct clutch snap ring 7C122, TSS sensor 7M101 and seal kit 7153 and filter in the kit. Completely disassemble and clean the transmission to remove metal particles including the main control. Then the list of Lincoln and Ford vehicles that could be involved.

They replaced all parts mention above plus more. Total 2722.00 including 300.00 for rental.

So we're off and driving again here. It's sure nice to have it back. Rental was a Explorer Limited with the I-4. Wow they should warn you before sending you out. I wrongly assumed it would have a V6. Knew it wasn't as soon as I went to enter the freeway, you'd better have plenty of time. Coming from the Platinum it was a shock to me.

Since there doesn't seem to be any others posting on this problem maybe it will just be a "lucky" few.

k9gold, love your avatar. I've done several Internet searches on the SSM you identified and was not able to find anything regarding it. I was planning to add it to the TSB & SSM but wanted to confirm it first.

Peter

k9gold, love your avatar. I've done several Internet searches on the SSM you identified and was not able to find anything regarding it. I was planning to add it to the TSB & SSM but wanted to confirm it first.

Peter
Thanks for mentioning my avatar. :) It's a picture of my past Golden who was an American and Canadian Champion. We lived in Alaska for 22 years so I traveled into Canada at least three times a year. Loved the people I met and showing in Canada.
When I picked up my Explorer I asked for a copy of the TSB. When I got a copy from the service dept I saw it was a SSM. What I wrote was copied from the photocopy that I got from them. The only thing I didn't include was the list of 35 Ford Lincoln models that were included at the end.

Kinda freaked out this morning... On my 20 mile commute to work, I noticed off the bat that the transmission was acting abnormally. It was shifting hard and slamming into the next gear, particularly the 2-3 shift. I pulled over at a gas station after a couple miles and shut the car off and restarted, thinking a reboot might reset it.

From there it got worse. The Terrain Management System error message came up along with an amber wrench idiot light on the dash. Also, the Explorer would not pull off the line at intersections. It seemed not to be shifting at all, and attempting to pull away in 3rd gear. Felt exactly like a manual shift car does if you try to pull from a stop in 3rd gear and slip the clutch a lot.

I pulled over to make sure nothing was leaking or smoking, and all looked fine. Once moving, it would hold 3rd gear without the feeling of slippage, but would not shift. It almost felt like it went into a failsafe or limp mode. The CEL idiot light came on as well. I made it to a Ford dealer, where I dropped it off this morning.

I'm hoping this is all software and it's just a sensor or needs some sort of master reset, but has anyone experienced anything similar? I can't find anything in the existing threads... I see plenty of phantom TMS errors, but nothing that grew into transmission shifting issues.

Update: Complete transmission failure at 12K miles and less than a year ownership. No specific info on what failed within the transmission, and I presume they don't know yet. The dealer said that Ford approved a complete replacement vs. attempting to repair the current unit, which is good news to me. The service advisor mentioned that transmission failures are extremely rare on Explorers in his experience.

Does anyone know how complex a transmission replacement is for the 3.5L EcoBoost or anything I should be looking out for? Certainly major work no matter what.

They gave me a Fusion loaner car with only 400 miles and the new Sync, so that will at least distract me in the meantime. Expecting all the work to take at least a week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back