2004 Explorer Transmission Troubles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer Transmission Troubles

04_3XPL0R3R

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Hey guys! Long time reader here, but today I can't seem to find the answer to my question by searching.

Here it goes, my beloved 04 Explorer XLT 4X4 with the V6 and 145,000 miles is having the dreaded tranny issues. I'm getting P0745 - Pressure solenoid malfunction, intermittent O/D light flashing, she will go through all her gears but when shifting from 2nd-3rd I have to feather the gas pedal to forse the shift.

Now from the reading up on past threads I have gathered a list of the usual suspects (servo bores, solenoid pack, bands etc.) my question is; is there any definitive way to diagnose which component is actually to blame, generally in the threads I'm reading I see guys just "throwing parts" at this issue until they fix the problem and to be honest I just don't have that kind of carrots to just throw parts at the problem.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! And when I do get the repair going I promise plenty of photos as I go!

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The code suggests it to be a bad solenoid block.

Hey sir thank you for the reply! That's kinda what I have been leaning towards, honestly I'll be happy with just about anything that doesn't require me to pull the trans.

Already have the motor/trans out of my 99 DeVille not trying to have another kicking around the shop Haha!

I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT FIXING TRANNIES BUT WAS READING THIS POST YESTERDAY AND IT MADE ME THINK ABOUT ALL OF THE FIXES FOR THE 2ND/3RD FLARES AND OD PROBLEMS. NOT TRYING TO GIVE YOU BAD NEWS OR BRING ON BIGGER ISSUES BUT IT DOES EXPLAIN PRETTY WELL WHATS GOING ON IN/WITH OUR TRANNY AND WHY ITS CAUSING PROBLEMS

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341593

GOOD LUCK AND LET US KNOW WHAT FIXES YOUR PROBLEM
THANKS

Hey thanks for taking the time to respond, I have read that thread previously and I understand that there is always a possibility (honestly i think of it as an inevitability) with this transmission that the servo bores are going to need attention, I do plan on pulling this transmission and rebuilding it completely hopefully with beefier parts than before but like I said I generally try to only have one drivetrain on the shop floor at a time lol :) so for the time being until I get my cadillac buttoned up I just really hope I can at least bandaid this issue (lf it is the servo bores I have heard good things about the "eBay fix" I would love some more opinions on this option again just as a bandaid) without having to pull the trans or without doing any further damage.

Thanks again guys!

i can say that your symptoms match the ones i had in my 2003 xlt. i got the servo replacement kit with the Viton o-rings and had it installed. no problems for months now. i highly recommend doing this first. its fairly cheap and there is a good chance you would eventually have the problem anyway. call it "preventive maintenance".

i would have to agree with Tmaher. I also have an 03 XLT and started having same symptoms, OD light flashing on and off and such. i can't tell you what to do but i can tell you what not to do. when i finally made it home i tried to shift it into park but it wouldn't go all the way. i tried backing up a little then forward a little no luck . after about 5 mins i got frustrated and you can probly guess the rest. i decided i knew how to get it in park and i did. but that was the last gear it went into. had to get new transmission. guy that fixed it for me said if i wouldn't have forced it, all that needed fixed was some shifter cable module or something like that. would've been alot cheaper than $2600 for new tranny.

Back