2016 Explorer Transmission troubles | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Transmission troubles

Transmission replacement is not major work. I'd rather have a complete trans replaced then just about anything else since it is one unit that is unbolted and the new is bolted back up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had this same issue with my 16 Sport. Been in the shop for 3 weeks as of today. I was told it was a blown overdrive drum and they were doing a complete tear down and rebuild.

When it happened I had no 2, 3, or Reverse. I have been in a Fusion loaner for 3 weeks, my patience is wearing thin.

supposed to be getting mine back today after a complete rebuild. I will update everyone after I pick the truck up. With the way the last 3 weeks have been going, I am guessing I don't even hear from them today.

Delayed again. Hopefully getting the truck back today. During their road test they encountered the hard shift issue. Took it back in and pulled it back apart. They have been speaking with Ford and they think they have it figured out. Doing another road test this morning and I should hopefully have the truck back today.

Going to ask for them to extend the warranty on the transmission. This is clearly much more of an issue with the 2016's then they are willing to admit at this point.

was supposed to get the truck back yesterday but they noticed the hard shifting during the road test. They think they have it fixed and are doing another road test this morning. I am being told that it will be ready today. 23 days and counting.

Delayed again. Hopefully getting the truck back today. During their road test they encountered the hard shift issue. Took it back in and pulled it back apart. They have been speaking with Ford and they think they have it figured out. Doing another road test this morning and I should hopefully have the truck back today.

Going to ask for them to extend the warranty on the transmission. This is clearly much more of an issue with the 2016's then they are willing to admit at this point.

They 16 trans is the same since it was introduced. Why would they admit to an issue that doesn't exist? A couple people c
Posting about an issue doesnt mEan it is common or wide spread. At 250,000 a year, you are bound to get a few that fail.

No different then the injector issue.. a couple bad injectors posted means nothing.

They 16 trans is the same since it was introduced. Why would they admit to an issue that doesn't exist? A couple people c
Posting about an issue doesnt mEan it is common or wide spread. At 250,000 a year, you are bound to get a few that fail.

No different then the injector issue.. a couple bad injectors posted means nothing.

I know there are 6 2016's that have reported a transmission failure on this forum. I have also spoken to a couple other people on FB that have had transmission failures on a 2016 sport. Off the top of my head, I know of 8 differnt trucks. Now if you compare that to the 250,000 a year, then its not a problem, but if you look at the fact that they are all Sports or Platinum level, it becomes more of a problem.

Also have a family friend who owns a shop in the Pittsburgh area and he said he has seen multiple 2016 Sports with transmission issues. He said they changed the transmission programming for the 2016's and its causing the issues. I don't know if that is true, but that was his take on it. Maybe it was just a bad batch of transmissions, but there seem to be more posts popping up recently.

Of that 250,000 I would bet there are only a couple hundred between here and FB with 2016's.

Not trying to argue, just looking at the information I have gathered the last couple of weeks.

Hey all, just signed up to the forum. Add me to the list of owners with transmission issues. Explorer is 10 months old with about 14k miles. Had it towed to Ford on Friday 10/7 and got it back today. The cause is listed as "SSM 46069". The description of work on the statement says they found the direct clutch snap ring broke off. Looks like they replaced the snap ring and also replaced or repaired a few other included items as per the SSM. No need for a new transmission. While there, they also noticed and completed a recall - 16B32, which is related to throttle body I guess. Anyways, all seems to be working again. Crossing my fingers it's fixed for good.

Got mine back today. Overall, I am happy with the results so far. It drives like new and they did a complete detail since they had it for 3 weeks.

They are sending a full report of everything that was fixed, but what the service advisor listed for me were:
-Overdrive drum blew (cause of transmission issue)-replaced
-replaced main drum due to hard shifting
-replaced drive valve-which fixed the hard shifting
-reprogrammed the transmission via ford

He told me they warranty their transmission rebuild for 3 years, 100k miles. Which sounds too good to be true.

I'll list the complete details once they send me the paperwork.

Hey all, just signed up to the forum. Add me to the list of owners with transmission issues. Explorer is 10 months old with about 14k miles. Had it towed to Ford on Friday 10/7 and got it back today. The cause is listed as "SSM 46069". The description of work on the statement says they found the direct clutch snap ring broke off. Looks like they replaced the snap ring and also replaced or repaired a few other included items as per the SSM. No need for a new transmission. While there, they also noticed and completed a recall - 16B32, which is related to throttle body I guess. Anyways, all seems to be working again. Crossing my fingers it's fixed for good.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Glad to hear all was repaired and yes, 16B32 is related to the throttle body issue on some 2016 models.
Please add the trim (XLT) to your profile so it appears in the margin. This can at times be useful info. Thanks.

Peter

Truck is still running great. The dealer foreman called this morning to make sure everything was still going well and we got a little more into the details.

I asked him about the truck having different shift points than it did before the breakdown and repair. He said Ford knows there are issues with the original transmission programming on the 2016's and has provided dealers with an Update. He said they have been advised by Ford not to do a bunch of reprogramming because Ford looks at it as unnecessary warranty work, but I can tell you the update feels a lot better. Shifts feel quicker and more solid, a lot less hesitation, and it's not so quick to downshift for gradual acceleration. For you 2016 guys, it might be worth asking your dealer to update your transmission programming if you are going in for service.

He also said mine was the first 2016 they have had with transmission issues, so Ford was very involved in the repair process. Replacing the drive-valve was what fixed the hard shifting issue.

This is seriously upsetting. Our 02 was acting up and I new the trans was a time bomb, so we upgraded to the 16 Sport to have something reliable. Are you telling me my 16's trans is a time bomb too?!

Yeah, the new ones are definitely time bombs from what I’ve read.

Actually, they all are(every vehicle ever built), some just have much longer time delay. Eventually it’s going to fail. :pI’m here all week, try the veal.

I also got my Explorer back yesterday afternoon, after a complete transmission replacement. Overall I’m pleased, with the whole process taking only 6 business days from when I dropped it off. I’ve only driven it about 50 miles since picking up, but the “feel” is exactly the same as before. I’ve noticed that mileage is slightly lower according to the car computer, but won’t know for sure until a go through a tank or two of fuel. I do notice a new odor in the cabin… perhaps some fluid burned off or new seals/gaskets coming up to temp? Not sure there.

Here are the notes from the dealer:

They reported my drop-off comments as “CUST. STATES THAT THE TRANSMISSION WILL NOT PULL PROPERLY’ SHIFTS HARD ON 2ND TO 3RD GEAR CHANGE; CHECK ENGINE WARNING LIGHT IS ON” (not exactly how I explained, but more or less)

And their repair comments were “Road test trans. for hard shift and will not pull or go into rev. at time after getting hot. Check codes P0715 and P0717. R/R trans. and disassembly trans. drums and gears worn and broken. Cost cap trans. to replace trans. Replace trans. unit and road test after repaired. And reprogrammed PCM and clear KAM. C/C 42.”

I asked them to pull the codes, and here they are:

P0715 – Turbine/Input Shaft Speed Sensor “A” Circuit

P0717 – Turbine/Input Shaft Speed Sensor “A” Circuit No Signal

No mention of a transmission programming update like the one @Fentress24 mentions above. The dealer is on the way home, so I’ll stop in and ask about it.

I'm here because I'm thinking about getting an Explorer to replace my 2016 MDX that I'm negotiating with Acura about because it spent 2 months in its first year and is on its third transmission. I was hoping never to hear the words "transmission replacement" again.

Would you guys buy again if you had to do it all over again?

Thanks,
Greg

I'm here because I'm thinking about getting an Explorer to replace my 2016 MDX that I'm negotiating with Acura about because it spent 2 months in its first year and is on its third transmission. I was hoping never to hear the words "transmission replacement" again.

Thanks,
Greg

Wait, are you trying to tell us there is another manufacturer who has had a transmission failed and not only that, multiple ones? There is just no way that is possible.

Sorry for the sarcasm but when you read these forums, people post like the Explorer is a POS and that it isn't reliable...

Every make/model will have failures out there.

For me, yes I would although I've only had the harsh shift issues which was fixed with a refresh.

We love ours.. we would by again but now that the stroller period with our kids are over, I think we will downsize to the Edge Sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks,
Greg

Ah, the 9 speed transmission, which is also causing issues with the Pilot Touring trim.

This is my very first Ford product and I don't think I will buy again.
Other than the ridiculous power this 4900lbs SUV can put down, that I enjoy every minute of; everything else is lacklustre.

There's just too many minor annoyances (I won't bore you with) that I can't justify dropping $50K on again.

Back