2016 Explorer Transmission troubles | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Transmission troubles

Hmm, just found this thread via the google search. How do I determine which transmission I have? My truck is a limited w/ AWD and tow package. built 6/2016

This is my thread: Transmission Slipping
I would say that you have the 6F55 transmission which seems to be in all the 5th gen Explorers with the factory tow package. 2016 what Transmission works in my car
Just out of curiosity when you said "google search" did you mean the Forum's Search feature?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly, when I joined the forum I did a search on transmission and don't remember seeing this thread, that's why I started my own. So today, for some reason already lost on me, I googled "transmission problems 2016 Ford Explorer" and this thread popped up in the results.

So for the past several weeks i've noticed that when I accelerate from a stop, my transmission seems to be slipping. I've talked to some people and read some forums and made myself feel better by hearing and reading that sometimes ford transmissions can sometimes be "clunky". Today, I left work as usual, pulled out onto the roadway and stepped on it about 60-70% throttle.. It got to about 4k RPM's and BAM slipped hard. Hard enough that it made my tire chirp when it caught it self. I drove a litter further, stopped at a red light, got on it again and BAM there it went again.... I decided right away that i was taking it to the dealership, only to find out it will sit there until August 12th... Has anyone else had this issue? Again, this has been going on for a few weeks but i've always tried to either blame it on a tire spinning and traction control kicking in, or maybe.. I dunno. I've made excuses but its now clear that something serious is going on... I have 1,000 miles left on my warrenty. I'm REALLY hoping I dont get a phone call after it sitting there for 3 weeks, just for them to say they couldn't find anything wrong...

If the dealer says nothing is wrong or can't duplicate the problem make sure they still give you paperwork showing your customer complaint and what they did or didn't do so then maybe that'll help you out if they finally determine the problem after it's out of warranty.

So for the past several weeks i've noticed that when I accelerate from a stop, my transmission seems to be slipping. I've talked to some people and read some forums and made myself feel better by hearing and reading that sometimes ford transmissions can sometimes be "clunky". Today, I left work as usual, pulled out onto the roadway and stepped on it about 60-70% throttle.. It got to about 4k RPM's and BAM slipped hard. Hard enough that it made my tire chirp when it caught it self. I drove a litter further, stopped at a red light, got on it again and BAM there it went again.... I decided right away that i was taking it to the dealership, only to find out it will sit there until August 12th... Has anyone else had this issue? Again, this has been going on for a few weeks but i've always tried to either blame it on a tire spinning and traction control kicking in, or maybe.. I dunno. I've made excuses but its now clear that something serious is going on... I have 1,000 miles left on my warrenty. I'm REALLY hoping I dont get a phone call after it sitting there for 3 weeks, just for them to say they couldn't find anything wrong...

Did you see my post at the bottom of page 4? Sounds a lot like my issue. Good luck!

That is BS, you have a vehicle under warranty and they can't even diagnose it for three weeks? They give you a loaner?

and pick up your car payment - or part of it. (assuming you have one that is)

If the dealer is booked out 3 weeks, find another dealer that can get you in. I have NEVER waited more then 3 days to get in at my dealer.

UPDATE: Transmission Slipping: So obviously, very unhappy with the fact that my low mileage, almost $40,000 vehicle was in the shop AGAIN, this time for something pretty serious. I decided to write a letter to the dealership explaining my frustration and all of the concerns I've had and am currently having with this vehicle. Again, they initially told me they couldn't get my vehicle in until Aug 12, and I dropped it off on July 23. So I explained how I thought that was very unreasonable even though they have given me a loaner (after an argument) due to the fact that i'm wasting 3 weeks of my warranty while it just sits there. I got a call Friday around 2:30, saying the vehicle was done and ready for pick up. I asked what the problem was and they said that they drove it and sure enough, it was slipping under acceleration and had lost a decent amount of power. They said they took it back and reprogrammed it and that had fixed the issue. Sure enough, when I went to pick up the vehicle, it was running like normal and the transmission was no longer slipping. I have no idea what reprogrammed means and I did not realize I was driving a cell phone that needed updated or reprogrammed every 6 months. Regardless, I am happy with the outcome and I HOPE this is the last of my issues with this explorer. It sucks buying something for a decent amount of money with the idea that your paying for something that without question, should for the most part, be reliable and have very little issues. So we shall see... Thank you all for the responses. This one had a happy ending.

I'm glad that the issue is resolved. There are several things on the Explorer that can require reprogramming. In a way it is a computer on wheels. Also, like many members have found out, there is no direct relationship between price and trouble free ownership.

Peter

Back