2016 Headlights Cool - Fogs SUCK...... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Headlights Cool - Fogs SUCK......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What color is original, yellow? When I was shopping around I was looking for a 2015 because I did not like the 2016 front end, then after looking at it for a while, and looking at the Rover Sport (looks very similar) the look really grew on me and I ordered a 2016 sport.

What color is original, yellow? When I was shopping around I was looking for a 2015 because I did not like the 2016 front end, then after looking at it for a while, and looking at the Rover Sport (looks very similar) the look really grew on me and I ordered a 2016 sport.

Yes the original is yellow. The same thing happened to me

I've just found my self leaving the fog lights off so far because of this.:(

just change the bulbs

I do not even have a vin yet, and i have already ordered the led lights.

Halogen fogs with LED headlights??? Freaking useless.... They are not lighting **** up... The C shape lens is stupid too...

What do you guys think???

I think you completely misunderstand the purpose of fog lights ;) If you change them to HID or LED you will be making them "Freaking useless", but they might look cooler.

I think you completely misunderstand the purpose of fog lights ;) If you change them to HID or LED you will be making them "Freaking useless", but they might look cooler.

i think your the one misunderstood 13sport:confused: Fog lights are low-mounted lights (bumper level or below) that project light that's cut off at the top. So the light pattern on a good-quality fog light goes straight out at bumper level and down, but not higher than that. :scratch: The reason for this is that fog tends to hover about 12 to 18 inches off the ground. :burnout: So by projecting light in that fog-free pocket, you can illuminate the road a greater distance from your car and therefore see farther ahead. :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

HID or LED is Freaking Useless???? i dont think so 13sport.... no need for a reply... :party::party::party:

i think your the one misunderstood 13sport:confused: Fog lights are low-mounted lights (bumper level or below) that project light that's cut off at the top. So the light pattern on a good-quality fog light goes straight out at bumper level and down, but not higher than that. :scratch: The reason for this is that fog tends to hover about 12 to 18 inches off the ground. :burnout: So by projecting light in that fog-free pocket, you can illuminate the road a greater distance from your car and therefore see farther ahead. :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

HID or LED is Freaking Useless???? i dont think so 13sport.... no need for a reply... :party::party::party:

While your explanation about the positioning of fog lights is correct, that is not all that is important. The light color and intensity is important to reducing glare off of oncoming fog, as well as reducing glare from fog for oncoming vehicles. HID/LED contain too much pure white (or blueish tint to the eye) light, and halogen/incandescents are much more practical for fog due to its SHORTER VIEWING DISTANCE. You do not want to illuminate the road a quarter mile in front of you, that would create reflection and glare (increasing eye strain and blinding).

Unless you are putting in HIDS with a temp below 4200k, you are being counterproductive by swapping your fog lights. I'm sure the engineers at Ford are far less of experts on the subject than you and chose non HID/LED fogs because they thought they looked great w/ the amazing new LED headlights...

Don't be such a tool.

While your explanation about the positioning of fog lights is correct, that is not all that is important. The light color and intensity is important to reducing glare off of oncoming fog, as well as reducing glare from fog for oncoming vehicles. HID/LED contain too much pure white (or blueish tint to the eye) light, and halogen/incandescents are much more practical for fog due to its SHORTER VIEWING DISTANCE. You do not want to illuminate the road a quarter mile in front of you, that would create reflection and glare (increasing eye strain and blinding).

Unless you are putting in HIDS with a temp below 4200k, you are being counterproductive by swapping your fog lights. I'm sure the engineers at Ford are far less of experts on the subject than you and chose non HID/LED fogs because they thought they looked great w/ the amazing new LED headlights...

Don't be such a tool.

I am a engineer for Ford you tool...

Don't be such a tool.

So the question becomes, to yellow or not to yellow? There's a lot of debate about this, but the research says that yellow lights are no better than white lights at penetrating fog. The theory bandied about was that yellow light has a longer wavelength and is therefore less likely to be reflected by the fog particles. Turns out, this is complete poppycock.
Apparently, the fog particles themselves are so big that they reflect all colors of light. Basically, all light bounces off of them, so using yellow light instead of white light gives you no advantage. So if you live in a coastal area where fog is a real problem and you want to give fog lights a try, we'd suggest a set of high-quality, white fog lights that are professionally mounted to be sure they're aimed correctly.

Now thats funny.........

Any suggestions to replace the high beams, mirror lights and license plate lights as well?

They are all Yellow as well... :-(

It just looks weird at night with the while and yellow lights on the same car.

based on my experience I would not brag about it. not that others are better, but ford is not it.

I was bs'n anyways!!

Im just a Master Electrician for Tesla!!!!

based on my experience I would not brag about it. not that others are better, but ford is not it.

After i re read it sunk in...
Spoken like a seasoned employee!!!

another light upgrade

Thanks to all who posted the link to the lights on Amazon. How could Ford have missed this? :eek: Now I just have to get the paint defects fixed.🔥

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pic links are no worky :/

Back