2016 Sport A/C sucks!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport A/C sucks!!!

The AC in my new 15 works great here in Phoenix where in summer it is over 100 daily. But our humidity is usually low.

Agree with you, our 2014 Sport handles Phoenix with ease, we find we are always turning down the fan speed shortly after if cools down. seems they have powerful A/C in these from what I've seen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I registered specifically to respond to this. I have a 2015 XLT with a similar issue. It will get cold quick if the outside temp is below 90 degrees. Above 90, and it takes approx 20 minutes before the AC starts blowing cold air. Before that it only blows moderately cool air. Have a temp gun, but it's been below 90 the past couple of days.

No problem with my 2015 xsport in Houston summer weather. The A/Cs blow cold quickly and the seat coolers work great. We've had 90-101 degrees this summer with high humidity and we've never had to run the A/Cs full blast beyond 5 min or so to cool the cabin down if the xsport has been setting in full summer sun. We do run both units all the time.

I registered specifically to respond to this. I have a 2015 XLT with a similar issue. It will get cold quick if the outside temp is below 90 degrees. Above 90, and it takes approx 20 minutes before the AC starts blowing cold air. Before that it only blows moderately cool air. Have a temp gun, but it's been below 90 the past couple of days.
Thanks because people had me feeling like I'm crazy... The Benz GL 450 that I traded in would be a freezer... I wouldn't have to set the temp below 70... Now I have this 2016 sport that cost 50k and the A/C sucks when it's hot out and the cooled seats suck when it's hot out...

On my 2013 Limited, on really hot days, you really have to get the vehicle moving before it starts pulling down.

Thanks because people had me feeling like I'm crazy... The Benz GL 450 that I traded in would be a freezer... I wouldn't have to set the temp below 70... Now I have this 2016 sport that cost 50k and the A/C sucks when it's hot out and the cooled seats suck when it's hot out...
I think that you may have some technical issues. Both the A/C and cooled seats should blow, not suck. ;) Also, vehicle price and features that work or don't work are not related. Other members have also pointed this out.

Peter

Our '15 Limited is also not quick in cooling down the cabin when it gets to 120F outside, During start/stop driving, or when standing in the sun for some time, the air temp coming from the vents is not really cold. It is still acceptable, but compared to our previous cars, I find it definitively not as powerful as I am used too.

I have also noticed some low air temps coming from my vents.

When I start it up and try to cool down the cabin at idle the vent temperatures don't have that cold "sting" like other cars.

My 2000 Ranger which hasn't had anything done to it A/C wise (220k miles) still chills my bones on first startup.

I have noticed that randomly when I turn on the A/C in the explorer the idle goes up and down every 4-5 seconds. Popped the hood and noticed the compressor is cycling during these 4-5 seconds. Only happens randomly. I can turn off the A/C then back on and it works fine.

Don't know if it is a low fill, possible air in the lines, or orifice tube clogging and unclogging. Need to put a gauge manifold on it and check.

When I get a chance I'll have the dealer take a look and post results.

Our '15 Limited is also not quick in cooling down the cabin when it gets to 120F outside, During start/stop driving, or when standing in the sun for some time, the air temp coming from the vents is not really cold. It is still acceptable, but compared to our previous cars, I find it definitively not as powerful as I am used too.

I'd say the air on my wife's '15 Sport isn't that powerful either. It's the first car we've had in a number of years where leaving the climate control on "auto" doesn't seem to work that well. We always want more fan speed than auto provides. As mentioned above it's alright while driving but in stop and go traffic it's not as good as other vehicles we've owned.

I'd say the air on my wife's '15 Sport isn't that powerful either. It's the first car we've had in a number of years where leaving the climate control on "auto" doesn't seem to work that well. We always want more fan speed than auto provides. As mentioned above it's alright while driving but in stop and go traffic it's not as good as other vehicles we've owned.

Exact analysis from my experience, and especially from my wife who cranks up the fan speed that over rides "auto". In her Lexus when the AC is turned on, you need to worry about icicles forming within five minutes. It's difficult for me to understand why Ford has not studied and applied the craftsmanship of cars like Toyota/Lexus, or if they have why have there not been more improvements on their own vehicles.

Here is another test you may want to try. There is another problem that maybe present. Turn off the airconditioning and set temp to low, fan on medium, and select face vent. Using a temp inferred gun or a some type of temp probe, measure the air temp at the vent. If the air temp is much higher than the ambient outside air your system is bleeding hot air into the vents from the heater core. My system adds 10 to 15 degrees to the outside air. That means if normal airconditioning blows at 45, mine will sturggle to get below 55 due to the heat bleeding into to vents warming the cold air. My wife has complained many times saying its like the heat never turns off. My dealer says this is normal and pushes me off. GIVE ME BREAK! So your a/c may not suck, your heater may be fighting you. Be prepared for the techs to scratch their heads. Seems like plenty of people seem to have proper working a/c. Your is not working like the others therefore no one can say with a straight face that your condition is normal. If you don't stick up for yourself here no one else will. I'm not saying you have the same problem as my 2011 limited exp. but its worth testing. Wish I had more info on how to get the heat to stop warming the vent air but with all the computers in this car the consumers will never know. Good Luck! And keep us posted if you get this fixed.

2016 Explorer sport has been cranking great in this NYC 90+ degree heat. No complaints here. Menopause? Sorry, just messing.

You must have a problem with Your system , because it was 101 f here today, and 107 yesterday. I was Very comfortable. I didn't even have it going full blast.
Get one of those thermometers with a probe on it , and check Yourself.
Then get the dealer to do something about it.

You must have a problem with Your system , because it was 101 f here today, and 107 yesterday. I was Very comfortable. I didn't even have it going full blast.
Get one of those thermometers with a probe on it , and check Yourself.
Then get the dealer to do something about it.

Where you driving, or parked?

The problem with my Explorer is only when parked or stop-start traffic (in the sun), and very hot (above 100F). We had the car parked outside this morning, at 43c (109.4), and after starting up, and 10 minutes waiting, the vents would just not blow cold air, this despite the temp setting is on Lo and the fan's in the engine compartment where working. The air is a little cool coming out of the vents, but not cold enough to provide comfort. Auto or manual setting does not matter. 2 minutes after driving; the air from the vents is ice cold.... but stopping again, at it gets soon warmer again. The car has been 3 times checked now, and nothing wrong was found; the SA told me its normal for this car.

EDIT: I just went outside and did a quick check with the temp probe. Outside temp is 41c now (106F). While parked (15 minutes) the air temp on the vent never goes below 14.4c (58F). This is not cold enough to get comfort in the cabin. As soon I drive, 30 seconds later it is already on 7.7c (45.8F), wich is how it should be all the time. As mentioned earlier, all the cooling fans in the engine compartment are working. I suspect that the AC design / capacity is not cooping with the high temps in this country; this despite my Explorer is Gulf Spec. I am glad we get cooler weather next month....

I was driving.
I have not sat in the car while parked to compare.
The closest comparison i can make, is that it works very good when I'm stuck in Traffic.

Where you driving, or parked?

The problem with my Explorer is only when parked or stop-start traffic (in the sun), and very hot (above 100F). We had the car parked outside this morning, at 43c (109.4), and after starting up, and 10 minutes waiting, the vents would just not blow cold air, this despite the temp setting is on Lo and the fan's in the engine compartment where working. The air is a little cool coming out of the vents, but not cold enough to provide comfort. Auto or manual setting does not matter. 2 minutes after driving; the air from the vents is ice cold.... but stopping again, at it gets soon warmer again. The car has been 3 times checked now, and nothing wrong was found; the SA told me its normal for this car.

EDIT: I just went outside and did a quick check with the temp probe. Outside temp is 41c now (106F). While parked (15 minutes) the air temp on the vent never goes below 14.4c (58F). This is not cold enough to get comfort in the cabin. As soon I drive, 30 seconds later it is already on 7.7c (45.8F), wich is how it should be all the time. As mentioned earlier, all the cooling fans in the engine compartment are working. I suspect that the AC design / capacity is not cooping with the high temps in this country; this despite my Explorer is Gulf Spec. I am glad we get cooler weather next month....

I forgot to mention, the AC is set on circulating (no outside air).

As this made me curious, I have checked my Bimmer as well in comparison, and get the following air temps from the vents, in 41c outside: 8.6c (47F) already 1 minute after startup while parked, and after 1 minute driving 4.4c! (40F).

I forgot to mention, the AC is set on circulating (no outside air).

As this made me curious, I have checked my Bimmer as well in comparison, and get the following air temps from the vents, in 41c outside: 8.6c (47F) already 1 minute after startup while parked, and after 1 minute driving 4.4c! (40F).

I think there is a comment in another air conditioning thread about how the A/C shuts off, or at least cycles on/off, at idle.

I'm very underwhelmed with the AC as well...108k on mine. After purchase in May (but before delivery, had new plugs and CV alxle put in) there was also some AC work done..."AC not cooling" on the ticket. On the first drive home it was only mid 80s out and vent temp just wasn't very cool. Our 14 Armada blows it away. I did find some leak detector dye splatter with my uv light near the low pressure point, so I took it back, and they replaced the schrader valve and checked the charge again. I doubt they ever drove it and measured the outlet temp. I'd love to see the FSM page about acceptable temp ranges on a correctly working system.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago down in Ingleside, it was about 90 and pretty humid and 2 days in a row after work I was only getting 56 from the center vent (using a thermometer, on recirc). So the cabin would only cool to about 80, even after driving for 15 minutes. Not acceptable. Humidity has come down a bit this past week, so now I'm getting close to 50 with the same ambient temp and it's better, but not great. From what I've read here, some people say the AC works great, and others say it struggles. I still have a few months on the Autonation warranty, but I'm afraid if I take it back then they'll want to stick me with any AC bill, even if I show them the pics of the temp gauge, and say that's it working correctly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back