• Register Today It's free!

2016 sport electrical issue...

Luda126

Reaction score
City, State
York,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 sport
Hello everyone, I joined to see anyone might have some input on an issue I'm having with our 2016 sport. A few ago it popped up with a crankshaft position sensor code. Replaced it with part directly from Ford. Issue came back a few days later, called the shop this time. Every diagnostic test ford recommended, it has passed but continues to intermittently shut off or drive VERY poorly and continues to throw the same CPS code. Has anyone had this issue before? I'm at a loss and so is the shop. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd check for frayed or shorting wire from the CPS, to the bulk connector near or on the firewall, and unplug that connector and examine for contact fouling. Oh, check the connector at the CPS too. Some people call the CPS, CKP instead.

Hello everyone, I joined to see anyone might have some input on an issue I'm having with our 2016 sport. A few ago it popped up with a crankshaft position sensor code. Replaced it with part directly from Ford. Issue came back a few days later, called the shop this time. Every diagnostic test ford recommended, it has passed but continues to intermittently shut off or drive VERY poorly and continues to throw the same CPS code. Has anyone had this issue before? I'm at a loss and so is the shop. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
One issue that the 2016 Explorer had was a bad throttle body. Not saying that is your issue, but just an FYI.

Peter

It might help if you actually posted the fault code...

I'm currently having what sounds like the same issue with a 2016 Platinum. it started with the car running rough, getting into limp mode and then shutting down completely. Towed to the dealer, replaced the fuel pump. Didn't fix it. Returned to dealer, they said they found an intermittent CKP failure with a small short to ground on the cabling at the firewall. "Fixed". NOT.

Car exhibits smooth idle with no codes. In park, running the RPMs up to 3k smoothly or quickly produces no engine issues. However, when on the road under any acceleration, the engine surges (small surges at slow accelerations, big surges at with quick acceleration). I am noticing the tach bounding around a lot, and not always in sync with the surging. When approaching a stop sign while coasting, the tach and engine run smooth.

Through all of this, there have been no codes, other than the P0339 the dealer said they found. I've never seen it.

I think its the crankshaft position sensor. This has already cost me $1600+ for the unneeded fuel pump. I'm not looking to throw major parts at it again. It has left the wife stranded twice now, and she refuses to drive it. I don't blame her.

I'm looking for a CKP replacement procedure but not having much luck with the You tube or anywhere else.

Any help would be appreciated. As soon as this gets fixed, the car is gone.

You need to identify the specific engine under discussion.

3.5L ecoboost
Ugh. Service manual says you have to remove the LH turbocharger to get to the CKP sensor. If you want the procedures from the shop manual, lmk and I'll post them.

Ugh. Service manual says you have to remove the LH turbocharger to get to the CKP sensor. If you want the procedures from the shop manual, lmk and I'll post them.
Ugh is right. I'm going to rethink this.

Ugh is right. I'm going to rethink this.
I am going through the same exact thing. Misfires, surging, bucking...it does it all and just dies. I have a 2016 Sport w/130xxx on the dash.
Took it to my local indy with the P0335 and P0339 code. They replaced the CPS and now the truck is throwing a P061c code. My friend is a former Ford tech and said that you have to hard reset the ECU and relearn the throttle after you replace the CPS....unsure if my indy did that. I hope to get an update this week. If not, its looking more and more like an ECU.

Back