2017 Base Explorer aftermarket remote start install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Base Explorer aftermarket remote start install

Stryker1DD

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
We purchased a 2017 Explorer base model that doesn’t have remote start. I want to install a remote starter from “12 volt solutions”.
12Volt.Solutions - Home
It’s a plug and play set up (Works great on my F-150). It requires a hood switch. Only issue is the explorer doesn’t have a hood switch or harness. I know the parts I need and I can install them. Am I right to believe the Explorer needs programmed to recognize that there is a hood switch? If so, then I assume it must be done by a Ford dealership? Then the remote starter can be installed (I hope), or is there more to do?

Has anyone done anything like this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m trying to get this finished in under two weeks.

Thank you,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That’s great info for adding a factory system. I want to add an aftermarket system. I still need to add the hood switch and harness then have the ECM reflashed to recognize the hood switch. Where does the hood switch harness plug into? One thread mentioned by the jack- it’s not there, that’s under the spare tire.

247B3AF8-81A7-4478-98F7-2141F559E8BE.jpeg
On a 2016-2019 explorer base XLT the BCM is where the hood switch wire plugs into. It plugs into the #14 location of the connector located with the lower red arrow. The top red arrow points to a harness restraint, that when removed will give you much more slack to work with. For more slack remove the top harness connector as well.

518F4AE0-0C8E-4B00-B9F7-198AB2C3A960.jpeg
5C9382A1-099C-422C-8D75-8E2804587B20.jpeg

On the sides of the connector are two retaining clips (yellow arrow). Gently pry them out and slide the inside of the connector outward (green arrow). Pin locations are labeled.

The universal harness kit comes with three connectors. Use the orange one (type 3) and insert in pin 14 in the proper orientation.

Now connect the orange wire to the harness you installed and have connected to the hood switch.

Schedule an appointment with your local ford dealer to program the BCM to recognize the hood switch. They will likely charge .5-1.5 hour of labor. Once done your dash will never show you if the hood is open, but the remote starter you install will. I installed a remote starter from 12 volt solutions and it works great.

Back