• Register Today It's free!

2017 cross bar bolt size

RckyMtnTJ

Reaction score
City, State
Lethbridge, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Picked up a set of OEM cross bars for my 2017 Explorer Sport. Had a family member transport them for me. Thought they attached with existing bolts. Turns out those existing bolts are just plastic caps and I need bolts.
Can anyone tell me what size, type, and length is required?
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't seen them myself but I don't think anything extra is required to install them. At least no one else has mentioned anything to that effect.

Peter

Up on the roof rails there appears to be bolts I can use to mount them. Indeed they are plastic caps that look like Torx head bolts.
I called the dealership and they said they don’t sell them separately. Justas a kit with the cross rails.

I just added aftermarket cross bars. The bolt size that attach it to the side rails are M6 x 27mm. A flat washer went on first, then a split washer.

I just added aftermarket cross bars. The bolt size that attach it to the side rails are M6 x 27mm. A flat washer went on first, then a split washer.
Nice. Yours is a 2018? I was at the father in laws shop and it seemed an M8 was the right size. Your bolts were aftermarket?

Yes have an 18. That is the size used with my Rhino Rack. I looked at the manual to make 100% sure.

Just posted about it:

Up on the roof rails there appears to be bolts I can use to mount them. Indeed they are plastic caps that look like Torx head bolts.
I called the dealership and they said they don’t sell them separately. Just as a kit with the cross rails.
I wonder why they weren't included with your cross bars?

Peter

I bought mine used off an ad online. They were sale 250 miles north of me but I had family who lived there and came here often. Seller said her husband bolted on using existing bolts. Seemed reasonable until I grabbed my torx and realized they weren’t bolts

I purchased an OEM set of cross bars new, in box. Set included the flush mount screws. But I purchase two sets of 4 each roof rack hooks because they have a functional use. The ends have "eye holes" for bunge cord hooks. I found them on eBay and a seller had both sets for $19.99 and free shipping.

FYI, I've attached the crossbar install instructions that were included with my set.

As of 8/15/20 this ad is on eBay:
Ford Roof Rack Hooks, set 4 pcs. 202873-A-600, FB53-78551A72-AA3Y9

0 bids | 1d 12h
$6.00 + $4.20 Shipping

Attachments

• 1597480061832.png
    1597480061832.png
    437.6 KB · Views: 414
  • 1597480472338.png
    1597480472338.png
    636.5 KB · Views: 310
  • 2017 Explorer Cargo Xbar install instructions 030620.jpg