2017 Explorer w/2.3 and 40k Miles -- Should I Buy? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer w/2.3 and 40k Miles -- Should I Buy?

zackro

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer
2014 F-150
I am going to look at a 2017 XLT with leather, 202A appearance package, AWD, second row buckets and a 2.3L eco tomorrow. It appears to have been well-kept, and this would be our regular baby-toting car (we have a two year old and another due in January). I'd welcome any feedback you could give me on what to look out for or if you would purchase your Explorer again for this sort of duty.

A few quick points:
  • The price is good. It's about $4k below private party blue book.
  • I'm comfortable with ecobeasts in general. My daily is a 2014 F-150 with the 3.5. I know they are more about torque than mpg. I'm just happy the water pump is external.
  • We are hoping to keep this car through kid number three, so second row buckets are a must for us. Feedback on that would be great.
  • I've had one Explorer, three Escapes and two F-150s in my life. My first car was a 1993 Eddie Bauer that was almost a spitting image of the Explorer in the logo on this page.

Anything I should check out mechanically that is specific to this generation or this engine? Think the Explorer is a good choice for (eventually) three young kids? What quirks should I know about? We have test driven a couple so far, and we've been quite happy.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bought a 2018 with the 2.3 FWD in Feburary. It had 18K. I did some research but not a lot and have never owned a vehicle with a turbo. I went mostly on the fact my wife had bought a 2017 with the 3.5 NA new and has put over 100K on it with no problems. We just recently had put water pump in it. The 2.3 to me seems good for the vehicle size,gets good MPG. You should plan on regular oil changes and to use top tier gas along with regular maintenance on transmission and PTU since yours is AWD.

If the 2018s don't have dual port fuel injection then I suggest installing a catch can on it to intercept oil coming from the PVC system before it is sucking into the intake tract. This will go a long way to prevent carbon buildup of the intake valves which will happen over time. To clean the intake valves is not a cheap thing to do. A couple hundred dollars for a catch can system is a cheap preventative measure.

Back