• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer Issues??

Amad88

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I'm looking to purchase a 2018 Explorer XLT 4WD with 33k miles. Are there any issues with it that I need to know? Also, would you recommend purchasing the Ford PremiumCARE extended service plan? The dealer is selling it for $2500.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search on PTU and see if that is a concern for you...you can probably get the extended warranty cheaper by searching for ESP (see sticky about ESP at dealer cost), I bought one for about $1k less.

I'm looking to purchase a 2018 Explorer XLT 4WD with 33k miles. Are there any issues with it that I need to know? Also, would you recommend purchasing the Ford PremiumCARE extended service plan? The dealer is selling it for $2500.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The main concerns on the 5th generation Explorer are the PTU as mentioned and the internal water pump. Water pump failure leads to dead engine
As for the ESP, check out; Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members
Your Explorer still has the factory warranty so you should be able to get the ESP without the dealer having to do an inspection of it first. An ESP is always a hit or miss proposition. Personally, I would get it.
You can browse through the threads on the 5th gen forums here to see what has been going on. Good luck.
BTW, make sure that the dealer gives you 2 keys for the Explorer. Many have bought them and received only 1. They all come from the factory with 2.

Peter

I own a 2018 Ford Explorer with the Ecoboot engine and boy I've been having nothing but problems. Long story short white smoke out the tail pipes upon starting here and there was finally video taped by me and the Ford Dealership now has had my truck for 3 months and said complete internal oil failure and has ordered a new engine from a back east Ford factory. My car only has 34,000 miles and had every service as required. Ford is stating I will not get a new warrenty for the 60K miles with the new engine. They state that isn't possible. So, my problem is they are replacing the entire engine with the same Ecoboost engine problem and now I'll have a vechicle with a warrently that will only be good for 26k miles and I'm worried I'm going to have the same problem and now no warrently down the road. Thinking about getting an attorney involved because this just doesn't seem fair. Anyone out there in the same boat or having the same issue?

^^ Welcome to the Forum Gina. :wave:
So just to clarify, Ford is replacing the engine without charge? If so, that would be favourable to you since it seems you have exceeded the 5-year powertrain warranty period. Does the vehicle have an extended warranty? There should not be any factory warranty left on it. My suggestion would be to seriously look into getting a genuine Ford ESP. They can be had for less than what a dealer would charge you for it.

Peter

Back