2018 Explorer Roof Rack Recall

AlexJ1218

Reaction score
City, State
Nellis Afb
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
Hello all,

Can I get pictures of your roof racks that have had the actual recall done? Not looking for the initial CSP, as they changed protocol about 4 months after that was initially released. I had the CSP done, they started ripping off immediately. Got the rails, bases, all clips replaced (had to cover those costs out of pocket) and it seems as if they didn't accomplish the recall on the parts they installed, basically leaving me back at square one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done a bunch of that recall but don't have any pictures. The technician will drill two small holes in each corner of the roof rack (on the inner surface) and install small fasteners that have about a 3/4" head on them, the recall works great and IMHO opinion it's how they should have been fixed the first time.

I've done a bunch of that recall but don't have any pictures. The technician will drill two small holes in each corner of the roof rack (on the inner surface) and install small fasteners that have about a 3/4" head on them, the recall works great and IMHO opinion it's how they should have been fixed the first time.
I agree, but the epoxy method they used previously was less than stellar. I'll have to look tomorrow, I don't think they added the additional clips, which I feel they should have after replacing all components

I think they are re-recalling all of the prior ones if you PM me your vin# I can run it and see if the recall is still open.

I think they are re-recalling all of the prior ones if you PM me your vin# I can run it and see if the recall is still open.
Won't the Ford Pass App do the same thing?

I would think so. Mine isn't showing anything currently
Here you go Alex. The recall is listed in our TSB/Recall thread. Recall 21S22

Peter

I bought mine in October as CPO. The roof rack trim was already coming loose at that time, and they "fixed" it by epoxying the corners. That lasted a couple of months, until the weather got cold and the epoxy shrunk, at which point it all came loose again.
In January, I brought it back to them to fix properly, but the repair looked like crap. Nothing was loose, but one of the corners was sticking up almost 1/4", and I didn't accept the repair.
They then installed an entire new roof rack assembly, and after two days one of the corners came loose. Brought it back again to be fixed, and for now everything seems to be holding. The corner they fixed is now the tightest of them all. The other 3 are a bit wiggly, but not able to be pulled right off. We'll see how long it lasts for. If there were a total aftermarket solution to replace these roof rack rails/trim with, I'd be interested.

Here's a pretty good video presentation from a Ford Master Mechanic doing the repair on a 2018 Explorer roof rail recall. This is the "newest" fix recommended by Ford drilling premeasured holes then using push in attachments.

Not even 30 miles on the replaced rails and they are detaching again. Taking it in Wednesday to see what they'll do.

I did it myself and ended up using these, they are a bit larger and longer than what is used in the video. On Amazon. Just did a 2200 mile road trip with no issues.

LECWOF 100Pcs 9mm Clip Car Retainer Expansion Screws Fastener Rivet Retainers Car Retainer Clips Kit 9mm Hole Hood Push Pin Splash Guard Clip Car Accessories (100)​

Back