2018 Ford Explorer Low Engine Oil Pressure alarm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Ford Explorer Low Engine Oil Pressure alarm

okford1

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2018 Ford Explorer with 36000 miles. The Low Engine Oil Pressue light keeps coming on at low idle. We had the sensor changed out but it didn’t help. Any ideas? It started after my last oil change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You did check the oil level, right?

Peter

You did check the oil level, right?

Peter
Yes. It’s good. We have talked to Ford and they have suggested starting over with a new oil change, checking the oil pump, as well as it could be the harness. Just a process of elimination.

Added a link in my previous post to another similar thread but I don't think it is of much help. Please keep us in the loop on this. Thanks.

Peter

Low oil pressure is very bad. The fact that you mentioned the light keeps coming on at idle is pretty significant problem.

I'm assuming you have a bad oil pump or low engine compression. What are the coolant and oil levels?

Does the engine make any noises on cold start and then go away? I would imagine it does....

I would change the oil myself and do a compression test on each cylinder.

Low oil pressure is very bad. The fact that you mentioned the light keeps coming on at idle is pretty significant problem.

I'm assuming you have a bad oil pump or low engine compression. What are the coolant and oil levels?

Does the engine make any noises on cold start and then go away? I would imagine it does....

I would change the oil myself and do a compression test on each cylinder.
The engine doesn’t make any noise. All levels are good. It sounds perfectly normal and we haven’t had any issues except this alarm when it idles.

The engine doesn’t make any noise. All levels are good. It sounds perfectly normal and we haven’t had any issues except this alarm when it idles.
Funny my 2014 just had the same issue. It was the pressure sensor for me though. The connector was broken, so I'm a little worried about the pin getting corroded, but then again it was covered in oil and dirt. hopefully the new one will last awhile.

Any update on this issue? I just recently started having the same problem. It usually happens when I stop after driving for a little while.

When these issues occur right after an oil change, suspect a bad filter out of the box. If it's a Fram filter, well, there ya go. I never use em.

Any update on this issue? I just recently started having the same problem. It usually happens when I stop after driving for a little while.
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on September 3, 2021.

Peter

FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on September 3, 2021.

Peter
Just in case anyone else comes
I have a 2018 Ford Explorer with 36000 miles. The Low Engine Oil Pressue light keeps coming on at low idle. We had the sensor changed out but it didn’t help. Any ideas? It started after my last oil change.
Just an FYI. I was having the same issue and swapped out the oil pressure sensor and it seems to have solved solve the problem.

Just in case anyone else comes

Just an FYI. I was having the same issue and swapped out the oil pressure sensor and it seems to have solved solve the problem.
Did you swap it out yourself? I can do basic repairs on my car, but I am a novice mechanic. Mine started doing this about a month ago. I absolutely love this car bit the alarm is annoying.

Back