• Register Today It's free!

2018 keys compatible with 2016

expnc22

Reaction score
City, State
US
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Hello, wondering if someone could provide details on using the 2018 style fobs with my 2016 explorer?

I saw a post where it was mentioned but they already had two 2016 style keys.
Change in 2018 remote - no LED to indicate Remote Start

I have only one 2016 style 5 button, do I need to have two 2016s or can I mix one each 2016/2018? and should the dealer be able to do that, I called one but they didn't seem to think 2018 would work at all which doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need 2 Admin keys in order to program a 3rd yourself. Otherwise I believe a dealer would have to program the 2nd key or I think you may be able to use FORScan to do it. Not sure about the mix and match but guess that would work. Why not just get another 2016 fob?

Peter

You need 2 Admin keys in order to program a 3rd yourself. Otherwise I believe a dealer would have to program the 2nd key or I think you may be able to use FORScan to do it. Not sure about the mix and match but guess that would work. Why not just get another 2016 fob?

Peter

appears they're significantly cheaper, comparison from a popular site below. I also like the easy access to the glovebox key

2016-2017 Ford Explorer Smart Key Fob Remote (FCC: M3N-A2C31243300, P/N: 164-R7989)
$139.94

2018-2020 Ford Explorer 5-Button Smart Key Fob Remote Start (FCC: M3N-A2C931426, P/N: 164-R8149)
$89.94

Yes they are compatible, I added one to my 2016 but I needed both admin keys to add the third key. It is also a little tough to get the bigger 2018 key in the backup slot during programming. I use this as my primary key now.

Hello, I'm still working on this, thinking of trying forscan but I can't find a single post where someone was successful on a 2016+ key.

can anyone confirm?

to follow up on this since it doesn't seem to be common knowledge anywhere on the internet, hard to believe but maybe I missed it.

forscan will not work with any of the 2016+ intelligent access fobs

here's one of the only posts I was able to find on it, I did not try it personally but would explain why there's not a single successful post on it:

"With your Forscan license you can change configurations, turn on and turn off options and only some what recently, PATS Key programming up to 2015 and so far not with most after 2015 push button start with proximity "smart" keys or any requiring the recent Ford requirement for a license code to be sent to Ford before key programming can be started."

I ended up getting a used 2016 style fob and found a local programmer that knew what he was doing, took all of 5 mins to add it.

Back