• Register Today It's free!

2018 V6 engine plug

jerraz

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
Does anyone know what this plug is for? or torque specs for it. I have 2018 Explorer 3.5L (non-turbo), its behind the alternator next to the water pump weep hole. Seems like mine is leaking. Ford dealer as well as Ford customer service says its ok and not a problem, but i wipe it off and it just comes back. Dealer says not a problem until they see an actual drip. Have 16k miles on it, bought it new, now owned it 19 months.
IMG_6619.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not sure what it is but if it is leaking then Ford should fix it. Ask them if it was designed to leak. If they say no then tell them it needs repaired.

No idea either but it appears to just be an electrical connector, possibly for a warning light or gauge.

Peter

Looks like a block drain. Is it coolant that is seeping out?

A wired block drain? Looks like it easy enough to pop the plastic connector off.

Peter

I was looking at the plug above it that looks like it has a drip on it.

That would be your oil pressure switch.
Circuit CMC24 (Green/Yellow wire), Plug C103, Harness 12C508.

Thread Sealant with PTFE
TA-24
WSK-M2G350-A2

Tighten to 14 Nm (124 lb-in) plus an additional 180 degrees

Fritz

Attachments

• Engine oil Pressure (EOP) Switch.pdf
    475.8 KB · Views: 109

Does anyone know what this plug is for? or torque specs for it. I have 2018 Explorer 3.5L (non-turbo), its behind the alternator next to the water pump weep hole. Seems like mine is leaking. Ford dealer as well as Ford customer service says its ok and not a problem, but i wipe it off and it just comes back. Dealer says not a problem until they see an actual drip. Have 16k miles on it, bought it new, now owned it 19 months. View attachment 319021
Sorry, I should be more clear, the pipe plug above the connector, Ford says not an active leak so nothing they will do, but I can see the stain

Sorry, I should be more clear, the pipe plug above the connector, Ford says not an active leak so nothing they will do, but I can see the stain
263CA1F5-221D-4A4F-AD48-046BC1ACD2AB.jpeg

I was looking at the plug above it that looks like it has a drip on it.
Yes, plug above, I put dye in the oil, drive 700 miles and nothing glowing around the plug or anywhere, I could try dye in the coolant next

Okay, I got it now. Thanks. Judging by the surrounding area, it looks like it has been 'dripping' for a while.

Peter

If it was mine I would just pull it out on a cold engine, put some pipe dope onto it and then reinstall it.

I'd be prepared with another plug such as a dowel or even a rag to place into the hole just in case something starts to come out of it, but on a cold engine I doubt that you would loose very much fluid, and it does look like oil.

It is just a plug so you don't need to worry about needing to have a ground on it.

I am not sure what it is but if it is leaking then Ford should fix it. Ask them if it was designed to leak. If they say no then tell them it needs repaired.
and any time the service mgr gives you a statement nothing wrong make sure hes written a ticket and write the answer on it
in case there's a future problem traced to it

The plug is W528207 which has an o-ring. It's an oil gallery plug. It's HP4 in the attachment from fordparts.com. Torque spec is 45-53Nm.

Thanks 96xj, I thought as much, compared to other plugs on this engine, I don’t see evidence of a seal or o-ring, going to fix it myself, surprised I didn’t get any glow here after the dye, it bothers me because when i pull it into the my garage you can smell oil.

If it was mine I would just pull it out on a cold engine, put some pipe dope onto it and then reinstall it.

I'd be prepared with another plug such as a dowel or even a rag to place into the hole just in case something starts to come out of it, but on a cold engine I doubt that you would loose very much fluid, and it does look like oil.

It is just a plug so you don't need to worry about needing to have a ground on it.
Thanks for the sound advice JAPeterson, I will do just that.

Back