2018 with 1,200 miles dealer demo - is this a good deal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 with 1,200 miles dealer demo - is this a good deal?

jrc9614

Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 XLT 202A
Hi all,

We have come across a 2018 XLT 4WD with a 2.3 eco boost and the 201A package. It is a dealer demo being sold pre-owned as it is titled to the dealer. It has 1,200 miles on it. Almost a full 3 years warranty left. They are asking around 30K, MSRP is just over 40K.

We know nothing about negotiating with dealers! Just wondering if you all think this is a good deal?

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks to all in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all,

We have come across a 2018 XLT 4WD with a 2.3 eco boost and the 201A package. It is a dealer demo being sold pre-owned as it is titled to the dealer. It has 1,200 miles on it. Almost a full 3 years warranty left. They are asking around 30K, MSRP is just over 40K.

We know nothing about negotiating with dealers! Just wondering if you all think this is a good deal?

If its sold pre owned then you should double check on the warranty because the b2b probably started when it was first titled.

Mid to upper $20's out the door is probably a good deal...$30k plus TTL is not a good deal on an almost 2 year old vehicle.

Mid to upper $20's out the door is probably a good deal...$30k plus TTL is not a good deal on an almost 2 year old vehicle.

Agree with this

Start real low and see what they come back with.

It's been awhle, but I believe demos have to titled to dealer, but not registered. If it is truly just a titled demo, there is no reason for a dealer to take the value hit by selling it as used when they can sell it as 'new/demo' and customers can still get factory incentives. If it was registered, than that means it was actually sold and is considered used and carries no factory incentives. I would carefully vet that vehicle and it's history to make sure it wasn't a vehicle that was bought and returned by a customer, or bought back, or something else.

Review Carfax and any records or service history that may be out there.

At one point I was looking at a couple of service loaners in Platinum trim. The Autonation dealer told me that even though they had 1-3k miles and were 2018s, that I would receive a full factory warranty (I assumed the miles would have counted but service time would have started on date of purchase). I didn't end up buying one of those but if I had gotten serious I would have definitely verified that claim. If anything like that is offered by sales be sure to read the fine print. Happy hunting! Sounds like that could be a very nice steal.

Hi all,

There is a 2018 XLT with 6,994 miles for $34,558. A new 2019 XLT AWD from the same dealer for $33,408. This is in the Anchorage area.
Autotrader - page unavailable

Peter

It's been awhle, but I believe demos have to titled to dealer, but not registered. If it is truly just a titled demo, there is no reason for a dealer to take the value hit by selling it as used when they can sell it as 'new/demo' and customers can still get factory incentives. If it was registered, than that means it was actually sold and is considered used and carries no factory incentives. I would carefully vet that vehicle and it's history to make sure it wasn't a vehicle that was bought and returned by a customer, or bought back, or something else.

Review Carfax and any records or service history that may be out there.
I'm having a brain fart, so when does the (time) part of a factory warranty start? Year and month when it was manufactured, or when it was first registered etc...? I guess the miles part of it is more obvious or is it? thanks ahead of time.

The factory warranty begins with the vehicle's 'In Service' date. That would be when it is first registered. Any mileage on it at that time will not count and the mileage limit will start from what shows on the odometer at the time of registration.

Peter

Thank you. All this time I’ve gone by the manufacture date

I'd get ext warranty on one of these... just sayin'

The factory warranty begins with the vehicle's 'In Service' date. That would be when it is first registered. Any mileage on it at that time will not count and the mileage limit will start from what shows on the odometer at the time of registration.

Peter
First registration only determines warranty if there is a "sale". Warranty starts when the vehicle is "punched" by the dealer. This is a holdover to the good old days and there is no actual punching of the warranty card anymore. It is all done electronically. OEMs and dealers do this all the time to game the system to meet sales quotas/bonuses. BMW is notorious for doing this. They typically still sell punched vehicles as new, because they were never titled or registered, but warranty start date is when card is punched. Demos are similar. Titled but not registered. Warranty is punched from date they are put into service. Registration is what typically defines new or used. As with everything, there are some variables, so check your state and local laws for specifics.

I'd love to know how this car was used.

A number of the local dealers are using new FMC inventory as rental cars for the first thousand miles or so, then selling them at a nice discount.

A demo is one thing but 'rental car' is another.

Thanks to all who have answered. We considered all of your thoughts and did purchase the vehicle. They assured us it was driven by a manager, not a courtesy car or rental.

Hope it proves to be as good of vehicle as our 2014 has been. We are keeping the 2014 also.

Time to update your sig block and add the 2018. Congrats!

My 2018 was originally registered to the dealership as a loaner vehicle... then, after exactly one year of use, they sold it to me as a "used" car, saving me a huge chunk of money... but then also gave about $5K in "new" car promotional discounts! I drove out of there with a low-mileage vehicle that looked (and smelled) like a new car, but actually paid a little less than what the current blue-book and NADA values were on it. Turns out they routinely put a couple of new vehicles into their loaner stock; then sell them off once they've been used for only one year... something I was never aware of. I guess I was in the right place at the right time, on that one!

My 2018 was originally registered to the dealership as a loaner vehicle... then, after exactly one year of use, they sold it to me as a "used" car, saving me a huge chunk of money... but then also gave about $5K in "new" car promotional discounts! I drove out of there with a low-mileage vehicle that looked (and smelled) like a new car, but actually paid a little less than what the current blue-book and NADA values were on it. Turns out they routinely put a couple of new vehicles into their loaner stock; then sell them off once they've been used for only one year... something I was never aware of. I guess I was in the right place at the right time, on that one!

Challenging part of purchasing a previous loaner vehicle is the potential abuse customers may put on a loaner...same goes with previous rentals. At least the normal/routine maintenance should have been accomplished...were you able to get the previous maintenance records?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I got the maintenance records from the dealership, as well as researched the title history prior to purchasing it; it all checked out that it's ownership had been retained by the dealership, and that it had not been sold to a private party before I came across it...

Back