2018 xlt customizations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 xlt customizations

I bought this new with 2560 miles. I drove the base 4 cyl eco and didn't like it. Dealer had this XLT as a courtesy vehicle which I drove and bought with my 2010 escape as a trade and used a friends A plan. VERY happy with purchase price.

I wasn't thrilled with the 18" wheels and tires and the squirm or slight shake on initial acceleration so I found 20" wheels and tires from a 2015 limited. I broke even on selling the OEM wheels and tires, buying the 20's and having the 2018 TPMS sensors installed.

Immediately noticed a difference in the feel and driving characteristics, much better than stock 18's. Some of this I attribute to putting Goodyear weather ready tires on these 20" rims.

Next change was adding a class 3 hitch which I found on CL from a body shop insurance claim that I got for $90. I don't trailer anything, its more for crash protection, a bike carrier and rear tie off for hauling canoes on the roof.

Since the 2018 factory roof rails were changed and DO NOT have provisions to tie off under the rail ( the old style did, but was revised because water would run into the drivers front window) I fabricated some custom aluminum mounts that allow me to connect aluminum 80/20 rails to the mounts and put 2 canoes side by side on top.
OH, Ford. Why aren't there tow hooks in the front like on the F-150 or jeep cherokee ? It took me a couple weeks and lots of mocking up to finally get some used tow hooks, bend up some 3/8" steel. I located where the hooks would come through the front bumper skin, then pulled the bumper and made my cutouts.
I also removed the lower air dam to gain more front end clearance. The cent piece unbolts but on each side at the front wheel well there is a molded in plastic section that needs to be cut off. with that removed the front end looks clean and you gain 4" of clearance.

My XLT didn't have a second row USB charger so I found a nice dual 2.4 V unit on amazon. I pulled the console, removed the power outlet/cigarette lighter and hardwired the USB to those two wires. This USB fit perfectly into the existing hole in the console.

I also found a great deal on a pair of 2019 HID driving lights and purchased from Tasca ford the new trim pieces. While the bumper was off, I replaced the stock bumper inserts with the new one, installed the light ( factory stand offs and screw holes are there ). I fabricated a wiring harness using 600 strand silicone insulated wire, ran an in line fuse to the battery and installed a back lit rocker switch on the lower left side of the dash. Finding the perfect spot to drill a 5/8" hole through the firewall took some time. I installed a 5/8 grommet with a snug fitting 1/2" hole and used a split corrugated plastic wire loom to complete the install.

I read a great post here about deleting the 3rd row seating and adding the PIU crash brace, so that was next.
I found everything I needed off a 2017 PIU at a local salvage yard in Zion Illinois for $250 !! It took me maybe 3 hours to remove the rear seat and all the mounts, both rear seat belt assemblies, and the wheel well carpet.

I have yet another project in the background...adding 16mm wheel spacers to get a stance wider than the sport version. I don't want to lose the ride clearance like the lowered sport and believe this will give me an additional improvement in handling. This summer I plan on replacing the stock rear shocks and front struts with Bilstien B6.

A couple of little project were removing the blue ovals, taking them apart and painting them with anthracite colored wheel paint and clear coat. I did this to the 2015 limited 20" rims too.

IMG_20180519_192032687.jpg

IMG_20180612_144900371.jpg

IMG_20181020_104701552_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181103_163614611_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190309_095550693_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190311_170503488.jpg

IMG_20191208_125523945_HDR.jpg

anyone in need of a 2018 third row black cloth manual seat with headrests, ALL brackets and hardware, both rear seat belts and hardware plus the wheel well carpet insert, give me a shout I have them list for sale on this forum.
Anyone interested in doing any of the mods I've complete, again, reach out I'll walk you through any the following
Rear class 3 receiver install ( requires precise cutting of rear bumper skin
Removal of front lower bumper air dam ( requires some fabrication skills and cutting of lower bumper )
Dual USB second row charger swap
Front tow hooks ( requires fabrication skills and machine shop equipment, oxy-acet torch and cutting through front bumper )
Driving/Fog lights
Replacement of stock front rotors with Police heavy duty
Utility roof rack and brackets (requires fabrication skills and some machine shop equipment )
Soon to be posted 16mm wheel spacer and custom press in wheel studs

having a spare front hub assembly made it easy to extend the OEM relief groove for removal of the wheel studs. Since I'm adding 16mm per side, I'll need 16mm longer press in wheel studs which no one has. Because they are longer I needed a longer relief groove, so I used a dremel to remove just enough material to get a 3" long "mocked up" stud in. I will use grade 10.9 zinc chromate hex bolts, and add a internal threaded sleeve to build up the knurl-press fit area of the bolt.

Fortunately I have a garage machine shop with lathe, mill, TIG, plasma and oxy-acet torches.

IMG_20200205_192126156.jpg

IMG_20200205_191830261_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200228_131304432.jpg

anyone in need of a 2018 third row black cloth manual seat with headrests, ALL brackets and hardware, both rear seat belts and hardware plus the wheel well carpet insert, give me a shout I have them list for sale on this forum.
Anyone interested in doing any of the mods I've complete, again, reach out I'll walk you through any the following
Rear class 3 receiver install ( requires precise cutting of rear bumper skin
Removal of front lower bumper air dam ( requires some fabrication skills and cutting of lower bumper )
Dual USB second row charger swap
Front tow hooks ( requires fabrication skills and machine shop equipment, oxy-acet torch and cutting through front bumper )
Driving/Fog lights
Replacement of stock front rotors with Police heavy duty
Utility roof rack and brackets (requires fabrication skills and some machine shop equipment )
Soon to be posted 16mm wheel spacer and custom press in wheel studs
The front tow hook, is that like the tiny factory one or a beefy one?

Back