2019 explorer, thoughts, hopes? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2019 explorer, thoughts, hopes?

^^ All valid points but how many people outside of this forum realize that a redesigned Explorer is in the works?

Peter

With the exception of sports cars and non forum people does anyone realize new gens are in the works for any car? I would say the majority of people are just waiting for it to show up at an auto show, which then shows up online and in the mags.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would expect the 2019 to be almost identical to the 2018 and also a possible 'short' model year given that the 2020 is supposed to be a 'redesign'.

Peter

QUOTE="peterk9, post: 3674932, member: 163604"]I would expect the 2019 to be almost identical to the 2018 and also a possible 'short' model year given that the 2020 is supposed to be a 'redesign'.

Peter[/QUOTE]

Looks that way. As far as sharing with the ranger, what platform is the ranger using? I’m not sure if it’ll share with the ranger or a sedan.

QUOTE="peterk9, post: 3674932, member: 163604"]I would expect the 2019 to be almost identical to the 2018 and also a possible 'short' model year given that the 2020 is supposed to be a 'redesign'.

Peter

Looks that way. As far as sharing with the ranger, what platform is the ranger using? I’m not sure if it’ll share with the ranger or a sedan.[/QUOTE]

The ranger has a modified frame from the global version.. so in a whybit is unique.

Internal rumors are that the ranger will be a shorter model (2-3 years) before a full redesign. Ford wanted to get it out and I am willing to bet that in a few years, you will see it switch to a new platform.

Looks that way. As far as sharing with the ranger, what platform is the ranger using? I’m not sure if it’ll share with the ranger or a sedan.

Here is an excerpt from the Ford Social email I received;
This new Ranger is equipped with a fully boxed frame formed from high-strength steel, a double-wishbone independent design and class-exclusive parabolic springs.

Peter

[QUOTE="blwnsmoke
The ranger has a modified frame from the global version.. so in a whybit is unique.

Internal rumors are that the ranger will be a shorter model (2-3 years) before a full redesign. Ford wanted to get it out and I am willing to bet that in a few years, you will see it switch to a new platform.[/QUOTE]

Hmm.. so I’m guessing the D6 platform that the Explorer will use, likely won’t be shared with the ranger, unless in a couple years they move the ranger to that platform as well.

I wouldn't be opposed to it sharing the cosmetics. I wouldn't want to be limited to the 2.3 EB though.

I wouldn't be opposed to it sharing the cosmetics. I wouldn't want to be limited to the 2.3 EB though.

I don’t think it’ll be limited to the 2.3.

I'm guessing it will look like this :laugh:

2018-land-rover-range-rover-velar-norway-7.jpg

This picture is the current model:)
explorer_17_smokesquartz_env_1.jpg

The Explorer will never go back to RWD. It wouldn’t make any sense. The entire world market is going to FWD, or AWD. With the re-release of the Bronco and Ranger, it would be foolish to take the model they have been making more car-like with every generation, and re-designing it in an entirely different direction. If they did, they would lose all the ground they’ve been trying to make in the luxury SUV market.

The Explorer will never go back to RWD. It wouldn’t make any sense. The entire world market is going to FWD, or AWD. With the re-release of the Bronco and Ranger, it would be foolish to take the model they have been making more car-like with every generation, and re-designing it in an entirely different direction. If they did, they would lose all the ground they’ve been trying to make in the luxury SUV market.

The majority of the luxury suv market is RWD based. X5, GC, land rovers, Mercedes, Durango, etc. It’s not going to go back to just RWD. But from what I’ve heard it’ll be RWD based AWD.

I still don’t see it happening. The entire Explorer line will be AWD? Doubtful. Would be a terrible move. It’d price them out of a portion of the market, and hurt their precious fleet MPG ratings.

I still don’t see it happening. The entire Explorer line will be AWD? Doubtful. Would be a terrible move. It’d price them out of a portion of the market, and hurt their precious fleet MPG ratings.

Do we have a break down on what percentage of explorers sold are with the 4wd/AWD? I don’t think many buyers care if it’s fwd or rwd. From a performance stand point rwd is preferred.

Any buyers that live anywhere it snows wouldn’t touch a RWD vehicle. If you see a used RWD only here it moved here with someone else, and was traded in the first year for a FWD/4WD vehicle.

I also fail to see the performance benefit of RWD in an SUV platform.

Any buyers that live anywhere it snows wouldn’t touch a RWD vehicle. If you see a used RWD only here it moved here with someone else, and was traded in the first year for a FWD/4WD vehicle.

I also fail to see the performance benefit of RWD in an SUV platform.

Most people don’t want a FWD car in snow either they want four-wheel-drive/AWD. I’m not saying a purely RWD performance suv but one that has torque split to the rear as opposed to the current FWD setup. If you don’t see the benefit to a RWD based AWD suv you should look into SRT, M, AMG etc.

I understand the benefits of AWD, both front and rear drive. It’s all I have driven for the last 15 years. They sell FWD Escapes and Explorers in the snow belt. You see them at the dealerships all the time. They would lose customers by ONLY selling an AWD model.

Most people don’t want a FWD car in snow either they want four-wheel-drive/AWD. I’m not saying a purely RWD performance suv but one that has torque split to the rear as opposed to the current FWD setup. If you don’t see the benefit to a RWD based AWD suv you should look into SRT, M, AMG etc.
I found FWD great in the snow on the older cars I had because the weight was over the drive wheels. Worked particularly well in taking curves in that the vehicle was being 'pulled' rather than pushed. In my latest test using 'Snow' and 'Normal' modes my display showed the initial torque going to the rear wheels briefly before going to the front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I understand the benefits of AWD, both front and rear drive. It’s all I have driven for the last 15 years. They sell FWD Escapes and Explorers in the snow belt. You see them at the dealerships all the time. They would lose customers by ONLY selling an AWD model.

I've been looking at Explorer's hardcore for the past few months here in Wisconsin. Probably been to dealerships 10 times and have done countless hours of research. I virtually never see any 2WD Explorer's here in WI. If it's not 100% 4WD it's 95%+.

I'm driving a Chevy Trailblazer which is rear wheel drive. With a turn of the knob I'm in A4WD or full time 4WD. I can't imagine anyone would pass on a SUV with 4WD because it was first RWD. I don't see it any different than a truck. If you live in Texas and feel like RWD/2WD is enough, so be it, if you want/need 4WD because you live in snow, you get it. Simple. And a non-issue.

Back