2019 Explorer Thud When Turning from a Stop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2019 Explorer Thud When Turning from a Stop

Chadwick24

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Limited
Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping someone here might have some insight or suggestions for the problem I've been experiencing for a year. I've taken my 2019 Explorer Limited to 2 different Ford Dealerships while it was under the bumper-to-bumper and they could not determine the cause or replicate it often enough to do so. I also opened a call with Ford, but they stopped replying to my case and since then my warranty has expired.

Here's what happens: At least once per day, when accelerating from a stop while turning, there is a loud thump coming from the rear of the Explorer.
Some specifics:
- It only happens when turning from a complete stop, never when going straight.
- It usually happens within the first 2 turns after the vehicle has been sitting for a while, then does not happen again, no matter how many times I stop and go.
- It happens more frequently and is more violent when the temperature is warmer. I live in New York and during the winter months it's not as noticeable.
- The severity is related to the amount of force applied to the accelerator. Making a slow turn makes a small thud, turning into quick traffic = very loud thud.
- I've had the rear brakes and rotors replaced.

I have a video I made today if I'm allowed to post it, it sounds better with computer speakers than a phone as it's a deep sound:

Please let me know if anyone has encountered something like this and if anyone has any insight.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It may just be my computer but I am not able to get the video to 'play'.

Peter

Hmm... I can look at it when I get home, but I think if you click the button in the top right of the video, it will pop out in a new tab and might play there.

Hmm... I can look at it when I get home, but I think if you click the button in the top right of the video, it will pop out in a new tab and might play there.
No luck. Also tried it on my cell.

Peter

I can try to share the old video. It has a lot of music as it was just a dashcam I had running to catch the loud ones. usp=sharing

Am I the only one unable to play these videos?

Peter

I can play video, is this an awd? Sounds like a problem in differential limited slip assembly to me. No way the dealer didn't hear that.

Thank you both for your patience and effort!

Jon,
yes, it has intelligent 4WD. One of the dealers I went to said they heard the noise once, but nothing was picked up by the "ears" so it couldn't be located. Because it might only happen once per day and usually within the first few turns, it can only be replicated after it's been sitting for hours, which they did when they heard the noise (I left it over night) but they couldn't trace it. They basically told me to see if I can find a way to replicate it better. I installed the dashcam to get recordings and sent it to them but it doesn't help them with locating the problem.

Peter,
I'm not sure why the videos wont play for you. When I tried them at work, they wouldn't play in the forum, but they did when I clicked on the top right button. There is a download button if you open it up in think, from google drive.

I just wanted to leave a follow-up. My Explorer had recently started to make a grinding when accelerating while turning as well. But just like with the thud, it did not happen every time. Fortunately, I had brought my Explorer to another dealership. They were finally able to determine that the cause was the differential assembly. After getting it replaced under warranty, the problems are gone. No more thud or grinding when turning.

I just wanted to leave a follow-up. My Explorer had recently started to make a grinding when accelerating while turning as well. But just like with the thud, it did not happen every time. Fortunately, I had brought my Explorer to another dealership. They were finally able to determine that the cause was the differential assembly. After getting it replaced under warranty, the problems are gone. No more thud or grinding when turning.
Glad to hear it. I was going through the thread post by post, after hearing the thud in the first video, I was thinking the diff in the back was slipping. I'm not a mechanic, so I'll give myself bonus points for calling the right area for the problem. Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Back