2019 Explorer XLT - What brakes do I have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2019 Explorer XLT - What brakes do I have?

anjuskel

Reaction score
City, State
Waterfall, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer XLT
So I have a question here for those who be more educated on the matter. I have a 2019 Explorer XLT, without the towing package, and I’m trying to figure out what brakes are installed on my Ex. People on here say that Ford around 2013 started installing the heavy duty brake package as a standard on all trims. But here’s my dilemma. I tried measuring my rotors (tires still mounted on the vehicle) but I’m slightly confused. It appears that I have 352mm front rotors and 325mm rear rotors. Ok so the info seems correct but then I look at the rear caliper as some have suggested and then you’ll see why I’m confused. My Explorer has what appears as the standard duty brakes installed. Only difference is my Explorer’s brakes don’t appear to have any clips installed as in the picture. I’m at a loss here. I’ve searched for parts by vin number, tried getting a build sheet to no avail to see if it could reveal anything, I’ve searched for parts using the part number off of the factory rear rotor to no avail (AG13-2C026-A is a discontinued part apparently on a 5 yr old vehicle 🤦🏻‍♂️). So my question is, is there anyone here that may have some insight or suggestion to what I may actually have?

IMG_9127.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you post some pictures of your rear brakes?
Are you able to reach your to the rear rotor and feel if it's vented?

Also, the PN is AG1Z2C026A, which appears to be non-vented.
Same as MOTORCRAFT BRRF70

If this link works.

Here are some pictures of the brakes and rotors

IMG_0322.jpeg

IMG_0323.jpeg

IMG_0324.jpeg

IMG_0325.jpeg

The rears are most likely the standard ones.
As you mentioned, you have non-vented rotors.
Also, if you look at the caliper bracket, the bottom of the caliper bracket is not straight, it has an arc. That's from the standard rear brakes.
Ignore the clips that are in the #3 boxes in your original post. Those #3 boxes are showing the shape of the caliper bracket, which yours appears to match the standard as well.

The front look like HD rotors/pads.
If you look at these 2 links, the tabs on the standard pad has a 'fork' in it whereas the HD are solid.

Standard Front Pads

HD Front Pads

Not sure if this is of any help.
If ordering, Levittown offers a discount to forum members.

Peter

I know they’re not very good
The rears are most likely the standard ones.
As you mentioned, you have non-vented rotors.
Also, if you look at the caliper bracket, the bottom of the caliper bracket is not straight, it has an arc. That's from the standard rear brakes.
Ignore the clips that are in the #3 boxes in your original post. Those #3 boxes are showing the shape of the caliper bracket, which yours appears to match the standard as well.

The front look like HD rotors/pads.
If you look at these 2 links, the tabs on the standard pad has a 'fork' in it whereas the HD are solid.

Standard Front Pads

HD Front Pads
is that normal?

Apparently the fronts on my Explorer are definitely are heavy duty, but standard duty rear brakes

IMG_0336.jpeg

2018 XLT Explorer owner here, and same. Ive been puzzled for years by members on here who insisted about the "MY2013 front and rear HD brakes" being upgraded... Mine are HD front, SD rear. Im actully in the process of replacing the rear calipers and rotors to the HD 345mm ones, but Im having to tediously find parts on my own. I can find HD calipers on Advance auto, but they are ReMans, I found these on rockauto.. but no way of telling if they are for SD or HD brakes...

RAYBESTOS FRC12563N Element3; Semi-Loaded; Includes Bracket Info
Rear Right; Limited; XLT Model

More Information for RAYBESTOS FRC12563N

In theory I think you'd only have to replace the rotor, caliper, splash guard, might be smart to do the brake hose. At least that is what I have seen in other posts.

2018 XLT Explorer owner here, and same. Ive been puzzled for years by members on here who insisted about the "MY2013 front and rear HD brakes" being upgraded... Mine are HD front, SD rear. Im actully in the process of replacing the rear calipers and rotors to the HD 345mm ones, but Im having to tediously find parts on my own. I can find HD calipers on Advance auto, but they are ReMans, I found these on rockauto.. but no way of telling if they are for SD or HD brakes...

RAYBESTOS FRC12563N Element3; Semi-Loaded; Includes Bracket Info
Rear Right; Limited; XLT Model

More Information for RAYBESTOS FRC12563N

In theory I think you'd only have to replace the rotor, caliper, splash guard, might be smart to do the brake hose. At least that is what I have seen in other posts.
As funny as it is, I just had mine in for a service, and I had them confirm my suspicion. HD fronts SD rears. I was thinking of doing the same thing I don’t know about the brake hoses if they’re the same across both set ups or not.

If you would like, then, I could post part numbers.

The brake hoses are the same, but with 90k on my vehicle It's easy enough to just replace them at 9 bucks a piece. I pulled the trigger and purchased these parts. It is absurd that XLTs didn't get this rear upgrade, but I am tired of the rear warpage, the larger rotor will help. You will not, however, be getting a larger brake pad. I chose to use the pursuit pads from Wagner just based on the driving I do down the steep Appalachian mountains for work. I have read the argument that you are only getting 20mm extra in diameter for the rotor, but what those arguments did not acknowledge was the fact that you are getting almost 40% more mass in a rotor. The SD brakes are not vented, and the HD are more than twice as thick being vented, I've had a couple of sets that have warped in the rear which is why I am upgrading. In all, 2 HD calipers, set of pads, 2 brake hoses, 2 HD rotors, 2qts of fluid ran me about $478 shipped. Im not going to bother trying to upsize the dust shields, as they are flat and not dented to encompass the rotors like the fronts are.

The new rear caliper I was looking at in RockAuto was indeed the HD one, which apparently can be differentiated by the caliper bracket being straight as opposed to curved where it would cover the hub portion of the rotor.

Rear Left HD Caliper, NEW
Rear Right HD Caliper, NEW
2x Rear HD Rotors
2x Rear brake hoses

Anjuskel, sure, curious what you came up with for parts.

Back