Rear brakes - 2013 Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear brakes - 2013 Explorer Limited

Contender54

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘13 Explorer Limited
When ordering rear brakes for my wife’s 2013 Explorer Limited, I came across a lot of discussion as to which size to order. Apparently there was a change from standard to heavy duty during the 2013 model year.

The rear rotors are 13.5” (345 mm).
The rear Motorcraft brake pads the I used are MOT BRF1531.

I’m sure many of you already know this, but I noticed that a lot of the threads on the topic were older and did not always cut to the chase with a definitive statement.
Hopefully someone finds this helpful.

2013 limited should have the 352mm rotors front and back. These are considered the HD brake package on prior years but became standard after 2013. This equates to about 13.9" rotor size

Also FYI the rear calipers require a special tool to compress the piston. Its like disc with 2 pins that slots onto the piston.

There was a change from standard to HD brakes during the 2013 production year as mentioned so it depends upon when the Explorer was built as which brakes it has.

Peter

The OEM rotors I removed measured 13.5” on the back, and everything I’m seeing on the parts store websites shows 330 mm (standard) and 345 mm (HD) for the rear, with 352 mm for the fronts.

Good call on the tool reminder. I have one in my garage and it came in handy.

Back